Milbro Paragon float rod F49

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Peter Wilde
Rudd

Milbro Paragon float rod F49

Post by Peter Wilde »

Some time ago in a cheap job lot I acquired an 11 ft split cane float rod, labelled "Milbro Paragon F49”, also marked Made in Scotland. It is a 3 piece float rod, still straight and seeming in fairly good condition, apart from very rusty rings and a few slightly battered corks in the handle.

Do any of you gentlemen have one of these - or know anything about them?

I gather that Milbro was a mass-producer of cheap rods and is by no means a sought-after make! However I am inclined to think the rod I have is worth some restoration as a "user". It seems roughly comparable in feel to a Sealey Octofloat (I'm lucky to have one of those as well, though not from the job lot!). But it has better (reinforced) ferrules. It has lined butt and tip rings which seem OK. The main issue is the intermediates, which all require replacement - so a bit of cost, but not difficult to do.

Not sure if this is a really worthwhile project; but on the other hand I feel that any cane rod from that era that has survived surely deserves some TLC and a new life. What would you do?

Rod
Grayling

Re: Milbro Paragon float rod F49

Post by Rod »

It should be a no brainer, get to work on it, if it is in as good a condition as you say. maybe one of the members might offer to do it for you, as some people get more pleasure from renovation, than they do from using cane. I have box loads of eyes, if you could let me know the number and size, I can send them to you, I also have quite a bit of silk, maybe we could match what's on there, or you could totally re-whip it. drop me a PM if you need either.
Rod
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

I've bought two in the last few months, having been after one for years. One is quite modern, with bright red and grass-green whippings and a transfer logo; the older one has a hand-written name, and more subtly-coloured whippings, claret and bottle-green.
They are powerful; I'd have no qualms about running 10lb line through if barbel were about, possibly 12, if after carp.
They have quite a fast taper (a polite way of saying the butts are very wide) so could probably cushion quite light lines, but they've loadsa muscle when needed.
I'd say definitely do yours up, I suspect you'll be amazed at the range of tasks it can perform quite well.

I think I'm probably Milbro's only fan, probably because I can't afford to collect anything more upmarket, but I have in the way of basic "Bottom Rods" (10' 6", three-piece, only the tip being split cane) the "Competitor", it's beefed-up cousin, the "Valiant", and an unnamed rod which I think is a Milbro, is 4mm across the flats at the tip, and managed to land a very cross 15lb carp - just - thank heaven someone was able to wield the net for me!; also another "possible" with distinctly milbroid fittings and a fine split-cane tip spliced into the top section, at the other end of the power spectrum; all have very well-chosen cane for their middle sections, that "carries the curve" of the tips perfectly. Someone knew what they were doing, and although the fittings were cheap and they were aiming for high turnover, low margin, they seemed better aware than many other firms that impecunious anglers can be very hard to sell rubbish to a second time.

I also have a 13' (I think) "Ace" match rod, with so many bits of cane that the "fighting curve" looks like a bunch of flat-spots held together by ferrules and splices. "Curve", schmurve... but it'll still swing a six-ouncer in with scarcely a creak, and hit the bites as fast as anything other than my ferruleless reed job.

And now, these two beasts... come summer, the bloke with subtly non-matching Paragons, bearing Trudexes and perched on an elderly but non-traditional pod (the rods, not the angler) will be me! I might even dig out my Heron bite alarm, to wind up the serious carpies.
Cometh the cold snap, I'll try and take some piccies, if anyone would kindly jolt my hopeless memory.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I used an F49 many years ago until I swapped it with a couple of other bits for a Hardy rod.. which I still have. I got an F49 back and still have it, they are very good quality stiff darkish cane and very powerful. Keep it do it up and use it, it will surprise you. One thing I forgot to say is that, like a lot of cane rods, the handle could do with being longer.
Last edited by Reedling on Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Post by TrentFisher »

I am not lucky enough to have cane Milbro's.....but do have a 12ft Prefect and a 11ft Mace in fibreglass.
Both were in need of and re-whipping .The Prefect has been used for couple of seasons and I love the feel and action of it.
The Mace oddly enough has it last coat of varnish drying as I type,and I know it will be joining the Prefect on many outings in the future.
Neither rod is spectacular in appearance and to be honest I didn't even try to match the original thread colours or pattern.It was simply a case of using what I had available to get them back in working order and back on the bank.
Having said that they just have a feel.......and I do like my glass rods!!!!!!

Just as a foot note and in support of TFF member "Bob the float" I pair my up with a variety of those ridiculed Daiwa fixed spool reels which do give great service!

So please get your rod back in working order and enjoy it.(choice of reel is down to you)

All the best
Nige.

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Hi,Peter, Get that rod down to the water! I purchased a "Valiant" at a boot sale for £12 ten years+ ago and have used it to my great satisfaction. Post war children like your truely cut our teeth on Milbro products . I believe the company traded from Mitcham in Surrey then moved to Scotland. They dealt in many sporting products, air guns. bread presses and catapults come to mind . Suggestion if you feel a Milbo product, ie rod does not cut the mustard, borrow a " Maggapult " to pair with your rod. One upmanship for certain. !!!! Go to it, Regards Tony

Peter Wilde
Rudd

Post by Peter Wilde »

Thanks, gentlemen for your encouraging and (as usual for this forum) very constructive comments. Your remarks have been very useful in confirming my own inclination to do this rod up and use it. It doesn't look to be a difficult one to do. Hope this is still the case after I've stripped it!

Rod, thanks for your very generous offer about rings and thread - I may get back to you once the rod is on my workbench (I've got one other to finish first).

Vole, your contribution was a particularly good read. And it's nice to see that being a Milbro fan seems to be no longer such an endangered species!

I'll let you all know how I get on.

Mitch300
Roach

Post by Mitch300 »

Nowt wrong with Milbro! I too owned a Maggapult, and my first real float rod, paid for by my paper round, was the rather floppy Milbro Solite (which wasn't). Milbro made fair-quality products for the more budget-conscious end of the market, which was where most teenagers found themselves.

Let's see that restored Paragon in its rightful place on the bank, in all its glory!

G. B.

Peter Wilde
Rudd

Post by Peter Wilde »

Actually, having now been inspired to start, I decided to repurpose some rings and thread I had got in stock for another (more difficult) project. So I've replaced all the rusty intermediate rings; and also tidied up the handle corks. So this Paragon is looking much smarter and is ready for a try-out, once we get some milder weather. Thanks again for all the helpful comments!

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I look forward to hearing your opinion once the restored F49 is used and hopefully christened. Make sure there are plenty of pictures.. they speak a thousand words. :Hat:

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”