RECENT PURCHASE

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Catfish.017
Eel

Re: RECENT PURCHASE

Post by Catfish.017 »

Marc wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:25 pm This is the writing on my Abbey rod. Notice the ‘The’ is identical to your rod. I’m not sure if Bumble told me they were Southwell blanks.

A Lindop rod with the same handwriting!ImageImageImages

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

John - the top part of my cork handle on my 3 piece Aspindale Goldendale has exactly the same "fly type" profile!

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

I wonder Marc if your Abbey rod is similar to my Lindop which is butt/middle whole cane, tip split cane, all painted black and whipped in a 'warm' yellow thread.

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

I wonder Marc if your Abbey rod is similar to my Lindop which is butt/middle whole cane, tip split cane, all painted black and whipped in a 'warm' yellow thread.

John Harding
Rudd

Post by John Harding »

Good evening chaps,

Thanks for all the posts regarding the similarities with script on the various brands of rods and also the handle profile. I think there is a strong possibility that they have all originated from one source, but we will probably never find out. It does though add to the fascination we have with this old tackle.

Regards,
John

Luga00
Brown Trout

Post by Luga00 »

I managed to find several articles about Arthur Price Junr. in the Sports Argus in the early 50's in weekly angling articles written by 'The Man With a Rod' (I kid you not).

Seems Arthur was captain and president of the Birmingham Angling Association and although in hospital in 1951 had passed away by 1952 as the 'Late' reference in the advert seems to show. There was later an 'Arthur Price Junr. Memorial cup' apparently.

Also, the Boston Rod was used by Arthur himself.

Russ

John Harding
Rudd

Post by John Harding »

Luga,

Thank you very much for your post and what a fantastic piece of sleuthing. I always find it fascinating to find who designed and used the obscure rods that we keep coming across, it does add so much to the pleasure of owning and using the rods.

Regards,
John.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Catfish.017 wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:39 pm I wonder Marc if your Abbey rod is similar to my Lindop which is butt/middle whole cane, tip split cane, all painted black and whipped in a 'warm' yellow thread.
It is close to that, except the middle section has approximately 8” of built cane spliced in at the top and the tip has approximately 10” at the bottom spliced to built cane tip. Painted black with, originally, gold whipping.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Just spotted that handwriting again on a rod for sale on eBay. This one retailed by AW Pickard of Coventry. He was a busy chap!

John Harding
Rudd

Post by John Harding »

Catfish,
Thanks for your post, since obtaining my rod I have seen very similar script writing, in particular the distinctive letter T, on a few different makes of rods on eBay. As you say if they have all come from the same source it must have been a very busy production line, perhaps one person was just tasked with the script writing task.

Regards,
John.

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”