The Perfection

The Fosters of Ashbourne Forum.
Stef
Rudd

The Perfection

Post by Stef »

Some time ago I received a Foster's of Ashbourne rod 'The Perfection'. It is made of split cane throughout and approximately 10.5ft when assembled, there are close intermediate whippings, a small porcelain butt ring, tiny intermediate low profile guides and a tulip tip ring. The action is delightful and most suitable for roach fishing. I would like to know the approximate date of production, perhaps anyone here has seen one or can give a hint?

Some pictures:

Kind regards
Stef

CWK
Perch

Re: The Perfection

Post by CWK »

Your rod looks considerably older than my Fosters 10 foot Perfection float rod which is built cane , 3 piece ( 2 x 4 foot sections plus 24 inch cork handle ) built by Steve Wooley .

If yours fishes anything like mine you have a little gem ..

PS : Steve was Fosters master rod builder and I'm sure will be able to give you full details on your rod .
I think his contact details are elsewhere on this forum .

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I very recently bought a Foster Bros The "Perfect" - sold as a Light Salmon rod at 11ft. Apart from the loss of the rubber button it is very nice indeed.
All split cane - butt 45 - middle 44 - tip 43+1/2. Same green whippings and ferrules as the above. Fittings in steel rather than brass. Clear agate tip & butt rings but not tulip. Bridge rings - some with a little rust. Strangely very light in weight - hollow built possibly??

Due for conversion to coarse rod - t/c about 1lb with a beautiful through action.

Stef
Rudd

Post by Stef »

Thank you. It is a dream to fish with and feels simply perfect. Regarding t/c I would rate it considerably below the 1lb mark.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have also seen a 10ft 4in "The Perfect" for sale -- were all their rods called the same or similar?

StephenWoolley
Stickleback

Post by StephenWoolley »

very nice rod, all nice and original, circa 1930s, best one ive seen of that model, a good seller for the firm, perfect for the job hence perfection, lovely workmanship, best regards stephen,

Stef
Rudd

Post by Stef »

StephenWoolley wrote:very nice rod, all nice and original, circa 1930s, best one ive seen of that model, a good seller for the firm, perfect for the job hence perfection, lovely workmanship, best regards stephen,
1930s? That is great :Happy: Considering its age it is indeed in stunning condition.
Many, many thanks!!
Stef

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

I've just picked up a Perfection. It is in usable condition, but has been re-rung with too many and too large rings. What a lovely rod it is - light (hollow built?) and lissom. As Stef says it will make a lovely roach rod. Maybe not quite steely enough in action for a light trotting rod but I will give it a try come the Winter.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Stef
Rudd

Post by Stef »

I agree with Sean that the rod is not steely enough for trotting a float a long distance. It is very nice for laying-on on the more sluggish stretches though and also very useful for light line ledgering at short distances as it casts soft baits, bread paste for example, exceptionally well due to its softness in action.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Just a quick update. I've finished restoring my Perfection (more details in the rod restoration section). The butt section is definitely hollow built. The rod is also fitted with unusual ferrules with a sort of secondary spigot on the female which fits into a short sleeve on the counter (you can see the spigot on the picture of the ferrules below).

The rod:

The Ferrules:

The script on the butt section:

Last edited by SeanM on Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Return to “Fosters of Ashbourne Cane Rods”