The Perfection

The Fosters of Ashbourne Forum.
Das-Bolt
Gudgeon

Re: The Perfection

Post by Das-Bolt »

That Green whipping looks v.nice, may I ask what make/shade it is. I have Constable rod that has a similar colour. Thank you.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

It's Fish Hawk Medium Green, sealed with cellulose dope. You need to take care to thin the dope well and use lots of coats otherwise you get bleeding when you varnish.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Das-Bolt
Gudgeon

Post by Das-Bolt »

Thanks for your prompt reply :Hat:

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

I have just acquired one of these from the internet.The vendor suggested that it had lost a few inches from the tip section and was originally 12'.Having had a waggle I think this may not be the case.Its a beautifully balanced whole split cane rod with a very slender Cork handle of good length.I presume it was aimed at the roach fishing fraternity but would handle larger specimens.It will need the high bell rings re whipping and a coat of varnish but that is all.Does anyone on the TFF use a Foster Bros of Ashbourne "The Perfection"?
Mark Davies

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

I've got one which I use regularly for chub and grayling. Mine is the 10ft 6in model and it has a hollow built butt section. I believe it's the same blank as the Aspindales Aero 890. A lovely rod.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

My recently cheaply purchased "The Perfection" was refurbished and used one one occasion .I came to the conclusion that the cane in the tip section had gone soft as it set in whichever direction the rod was bent and finally broke when I was very gently stress testing it.Thus it will not be such a bargain as I have arranged to have a new tip section made.By pure chance I came across an unused "The Perfection Roach" at an auction in Cambridge.I thought I had made an Internet bid but realised I had not when it went for a lot less than I had bid.By strange coincidence it appeared on a well known internet site and I bought it for more than I had tried to bid previously.It is in new condition and has never had a reel fitted. This rod at 10'10" is somewhat shorter than my original purchase.Fosters made some lovely rods and you rarely see their coarse rods for sale.

Mark Davies

Cane
Grayling

Post by Cane »

ImageImageImageI thought that those of you who have one of these Foster Bros “ Perfection” rods might be interested to see some information from a 1950’s catalogue. This catalogue seems to have been issued by Foster Bros around 1951, as the last dates mentioned in it are from 1950.
As you will see, the Perfection could be ordered in two lengths: 10’6”, or 12’ there was also the option of either porcelain or agatine lined tip rings. The rod is advertised as for roach and match fishing.
I was also interested to see which reels were considered suitable for this type of rod, at that time. A subject, I don’t think has been covered here previously, but I stand to be corrected.
I think I’ll try mine with the Avon Crown, when I’ve finished replacing a few of the rings.
In the mud and scum of things, something always, always sings!
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Return to “Fosters of Ashbourne Cane Rods”