Book Review - Beside a Carp Water - Notes from the margins - Jon Edy-Berry

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Book Review - Beside a Carp Water - Notes from the margins - Jon Edy-Berry

Post by TemeLAD »

Let me say from the off I know the author, I fish with him, he is a dear friend and some of the recollections that can be found within the pages of his new book I have heard before. Usually whilst we have sat together water-side with a cuppa. I even feature in one of the chapters but most are new to me and are of a time before our friendship began, they speak volumes of the man I now know, respect and admire.

I met Jon shortly after he had completed his first book “A Can of Worms” which detailed the history of barbel and the men who fished for them. I was immediately hooked on his writing style. Beneath the Black Water followed, a book that for me redefined obsession and determination. His third – A Train to Catch – is one which I have no doubt would make a great TV series given the current vogue of celebrity rail adventurers.

Enough of Jon’s past prose what about this new book. The style is unmistakeable, an economy of words, self effacing, observant, witty and honest. The one thing all of Jon’s books have in common is that they possess something of his self, he puts it out there warts and all and that takes guts. Beside a Carp Water differs from the others in that the overall tone of the book is much lighter and I think that has a great deal to do with his new found contentment – the love of a good woman and fatherhood suit him.

I am not going to give anything away other than to say that the chapters relate to his boyhood and his development as an angler through to adulthood. The waters he encounters on the way provide the backdrop for two guest chapters from our very own Nigel “Fennel” Hudson and Stu “The Sweetcorn Kid” Harris, their differing styles providing an interesting counterpoint to Jon’s.

If you set the time aside you will easily read this book in one sitting, I stopped myself at the midpoint as I didn’t want it to end, so I delayed the inevitable and rationed myself to a chapter a day. It would make a great gift for any angler and for partners too, it might just help them understand what drives the carp fisher.

"I can't wait to buy a bamboo pole and a filament of line and a tube of breadcrumbs. I want to participate in this practice which allows a man to be alone with himself in dignity and peace. It seems a very precious thing to me".

John Steinbeck

Julian
Salmon

Re: Book Review - Beside a Carp Water - Notes from the margins - Jon Edy-Berry

Post by Julian »

Sounds great, I will really have to buy this book soon, even though I have eight angling books waiting to be read.
I'll probably read this one first, as I really liked his 'A Train to Catch'.
Added to that, as you know Temelad, I have been using a B.James S/U MKIV for the last few years which I purchased from Jon,
so it may be possible some of the events described in the book were when Jon was using that rod.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

ive read three quarters of book and its very good book

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

I have all of Jon's books and received this one for Christmas.
Once again it is a wonderful book and written in a readable style and in very a genuine way.
I have been fortunate enough to have known Jon since he was 13 years old and fished with him back in the 1980s. As such, I seem to have been given a mention on p107. I had forgotten that was what Jon referred to me as and had forgotten about the other things he mentions about me too (where can I buy some trout pellets around here?). Must be getting old! :Hahaha:
A must read if you haven't already got it.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

sounds like a must read, I've got "a can of worms" thouroghly enjoyed it

PeteD
Rudd

Post by PeteD »

Loved, A Train To Catch. I will certainly put this one on my must read list.

JPC
Bleak

Post by JPC »

Beneath The Black Water is one of the best angling/fishing books I have ever read (and I've read a few) and I have no real interest in ferox ! If this carp book is half as good it will be well worth the asking price.
I see that currently Beneath the Black Water is being sold off at around half price (Amazon), a great read.

Hermit
Rudd

Post by Hermit »

I've enjoyed all Jon's books and this one lived up to expectations. Like all the best angling authors he takes you with him to the waterside and you get a real sense of being there, sharing in his successes and the magic of carp fishing as it used to be. Superb.
Fishing is worth no more than its pleasure. Bernard Venables.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

I purchased a copy which came today, looking forward to reading this one.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”