Pictures of Bill Quinlan

This forum belongs to Bill Quinlan.
Len Arbery
Silver Bream

Re: Pictures of Bill Quinlan

Post by Len Arbery »

Hello Mike,

Thanks for the explanation re: 'Drop Box'.

In the early Long Life days I, too, concentrated on South Troy and, of course, learned of its big bream reputation. Funnily enough, I didn't catch many, though took pictures of several for Bob Butuex and the Smith brothers, Ken and Derek. I remember one night Bob Buteux hooked a fish a he couldn't do anything with; the fight went on, and on, and on. Giving me ample time to get my big carp net from the car and assemble it, in preparation for the monster we believed Bob was into. Eventually, the fish was landed but the big net wasn't required. Believe it or not, it was a bream foul-hooked in the cheek. Should that fish have got-off, it would have undoubtedly been one of the 'lost-monster' stories!

When I first walked round North Troy, the morning after one of my usual blanks at Savay! I saw three big carp, all in the region of 30lbs, yet in all the subsequent hours spent on its banks, I only witnessed a single carp of this stamp on two further occasions.

Returning to your comments about Mitchell reels: As you probably remember, I converted many Mitchell bail-arms, from static line guard to roller, after both Bill Quinlan and Jack Hilton experienced just the problem you mention. Although I've still got my own 'converted' Mitchells they are not used now, and haven't been since I, too, purchased a pair of Cardinal 55's and a pair of 54's. But they, too, joined the Mitchells in the cupboard when the first Shimano Baitrunners became available. These ARE still in use!

All the Best, Mike,

Len.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Len, Drop Box are where I stored some slides I scanned in for Mike, just clarifying which ones to upload with Mike.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Len Arbery
Silver Bream

Post by Len Arbery »

Okay, Mark, look forward to seeing them. Besties, Len.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Here is one of Bill, I will put Mike's pictures in his area.

Mark (Administrator)

where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

This is a great thread with some fantastic pictures, thanks chaps. I was in short trousers in the seventies but was reading about your captures and dreaming of fish like that!

Still do!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Len Arbery
Silver Bream

Post by Len Arbery »

Hello All,

Glad you enjoy the pictures. Here's a less usual shot:

It Shows Bill Quinlan weighing one of his 9-pounders, caught from the right-hand side at the end of the point at Long Life, (mine was the left side).

As you will no doubt notice, Bill is properly equipped for the task - wearing his old mum's glasses! (God knows how she managed without them!)

(Will now post a couple of my own early tench shots in my area.)

Besties,

Len.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Thanks Len.
Mark (Administrator)

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

That's a corker!!!
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Return to “Bill Quinlan”