To-night I will raise my glass to Albert Buckley

This forum belongs to Mapperley Reservoir.
KevClifford
Minnow

Re: To-night I will raise my glass to Albert Buckley

Post by KevClifford »

Harry Grief and George Draper's fish came from Dagenham Lake, next to the old Ford factory and a housing estate. Nowadays it's all fenced off with 10ft fencing and barbed wire, like Colditz - a sign of the times I guess. It's was originally known as Boyer's Pit (after William Boyer & Sons, the gravel company that owned it). It was a famous fishery that produced a lot of 20lb carp but was overshadowed when Redmire burst onto the scene. It's all there in my book, A History of Carp Fishing Revisited, which I'm sure your local library will get hold of for you, if you ask.

Walker fished there and was privately a bit unkind (and typically arrogant) in respect of the ability of the club members. At the time the club was comprised of a really nice bunch of blokes who had a fabulous ethos as regards their fishing and camaradarie with fellow anglers. Some of them were decent anglers, especially Major George Draper, so Dick, being Dick, was just blowing his own trumpet when he crowed (in private correspondence) about his success at Dagenham with his 22lb and 17½lb carp – stating "the trouble with those chaps at Dagenham is that they only know what I did but not why I did it." Dick didn't do much crowing about his Mapperley carp fishing where he was distictly unsuccesful.
Kevin

KevClifford
Minnow

Post by KevClifford »

Shaun,
I'm fine thanks. I'm just about the put my barbel head on after the early tench and bream fishing. Hopefully, today's rain might put a bit in and get them on the prod. Bryan's been pestering me to get a season permit so hopefully we'll come across each other and have a good chinwag about the good old times (like old farts do).
Kev

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Look forward to crossing paths again, been having a few double figure barbel again this season. The rain last week has really improved things.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

KevClifford wrote:Harry Grief and George Draper's fish came from Dagenham Lake, next to the old Ford factory and a housing estate. Nowadays it's all fenced off with 10ft fencing and barbed wire, like Colditz - a sign of the times I guess. It's was originally known as Boyer's Pit (after William Boyer & Sons, the gravel company that owned it). It was a famous fishery that produced a lot of 20lb carp but was overshadowed when Redmire burst onto the scene. It's all there in my book, A History of Carp Fishing Revisited, which I'm sure your local library will get hold of for you, if you ask.

Walker fished there and was privately a bit unkind (and typically arrogant) in respect of the ability of the club members. At the time the club was comprised of a really nice bunch of blokes who had a fabulous ethos as regards their fishing and camaradarie with fellow anglers. Some of them were decent anglers, especially Major George Draper, so Dick, being Dick, was just blowing his own trumpet when he crowed (in private correspondence) about his success at Dagenham with his 22lb and 17½lb carp – stating "the trouble with those chaps at Dagenham is that they only know what I did but not why I did it." Dick didn't do much crowing about his Mapperley carp fishing where he was distictly unsuccesful.
Kevin

Very interesting, thanks Kevin. :Thumb:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Mick
Chub

Post by Mick »

I have a copy of your book, A History of Carp Fishing Revisited, Kevin. A marvellous insight to what is a fascinating part of our angling heritage. Anyone out there who has not come across this book should try to get hold of a copy. You will not be disappointed.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Totally agree.

Return to “Mapperley Reservoir”