Mapperley Reservoir home of the one time British record carp finally produces its first 30lb carp

This forum belongs to Mapperley Reservoir.
Shaun Harrison
Zander

Mapperley Reservoir home of the one time British record carp finally produces its first 30lb carp

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Alex Bongo Hamer (great name that). was the successful angler.

The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Re: Mapperley Reservoir home of the one time British record carp finally produces its first 30lb carp

Post by The Old Buffer »

It would have been a great name for the carp, let alone the angler.
The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Mapperley Reservoir home of the one time British record carp finally produces its first 30lb carp

Post by Mark »

Well done to Alex. :Hat:

We had a TFF day out there a couple of years ago and I never even saw a carp let alone catch one.

Were there any big 20's caught after Albert's 26 pounder Shaun, or has Albert held the reservoir record since 1930 until now.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

There were unfortunately some scroats who moved some fish from another water and one of those, a 28 lb fish was the first to beat Albert's long standing record. This fish is one that was stocked by the club at 18 lb and has been steadily growing since introduction.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Thanks Shaun, still this is the first 30 and I bet Albert would have been pleased about it.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

What a great fish! Did he name it yet? The chaps name reminds me of one of my favourite fiction names, that of Axel Borg, the Fisheries Inspector in Strinberg's 'By The Open Sea'. But the prize for the best fictional name has to go to Wolf Larsen! From Jack London's 'The Sea Wolf'. Both would make great names for big Carp!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Santiago wrote:What a great fish! Did he name it yet? The chaps name reminds me of one of my favourite fiction names, that of Axel Borg, the Fisheries Inspector in Strinberg's 'By The Open Sea'. But the prize for the best fictional name has to go to Wolf Larsen! From Jack London's 'The Sea Wolf'. Both would make great names for big Carp!
Perhaps he's named after Bongo Herbert, the character portrayed by Cliff Richard in this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbnl3-rb1Yc.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I really dislike the modern trend of naming carp. To me it turns them into pets.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Both Bongo and Herbert are great names! I wonder how recent the trend of naming carp is? I suppose it's only sensible to name the big ones that become sought after, otherwise the carpers wouldn't be able to say which particular fish they were trying to catch!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Shaun Harrison wrote:I really dislike the modern trend of naming carp. To me it turns them into pets.
I agree... trouble is it's not such a modern trend :Hat:

Return to “Mapperley Reservoir”