Roy Moat Fishermen on Chesterfield Canal

This forum belong to the other Canals.
Dean194bt
Stickleback

Roy Moat Fishermen on Chesterfield Canal

Post by Dean194bt »

Hi All,
Is there anybody who used to fish a stretch of the Chesterfield Canal that ran through Misterton in the 1970's/80's. I was just a kid then learning to fish on the canal. I used to stay with my Grandparents who lived at Hillside Avenue which backed on the canal and fished there regularly.
It was there that I met Roy Moat who's kindness I have never forgot. He was then late middle aged but to a child like me appeared much older. He used to fish with a little Yorkshire terrier by his side. When ever he saw me struggling he always gave me good advice and even pieces of equipment including a small tobacco tin of coloured maggots. They were as valuable to me as jewels at the time - and I have the tin to this day.
I will never forget his smile or his kindness and I just wanted to write about him to publicly acknowledge his lasting effect on me as a fishermen. I often think about him even though I have not been fishing in that neck of the woods for more than 25 years. I remember catching some beautiful roach and perch from the stretch through Misterton. Does anybody else remember this kindly and knowledgeable man?
Regards,
Dean194bt

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Re: Roy Moat Fishermen on Chesterfield Canal

Post by Barbelseeker »

Would think your best bet, is to go to the local library and look at the electoral list, perhaps over 20 year - say gaps of 5 years, or contact fishing clubs who may have the fishing on this stretch. I know, if I where him, I'd be very chuffed to know that I had set you on the right road. Will be well worth the effort of doing. Good luck - please let us know of your investigations

Dean194bt
Stickleback

Post by Dean194bt »

Thanks Barbelseeker. I will keep you informed if I find any information about him.
Regards,
Dean194bt

BendSomeCane
Crucian Carp

Post by BendSomeCane »

I once remember in the late 80’s fishing at the drake holes side in the winter right down in the entrance to the tunnel.

It was a place where you could get out of the wind , back then a float fished piece of steak would find some excellent chub.

I did fish once below gringley on the hill ... again only in winter and the tactic worked there too.

I’m afraid I know nothing about mr moat but the canal did hold memories

Bendsomecane
http://bendsomecane.blogspot.com/
By the grace of god a Yorkist

Return to “Other Canals”