Pocklington Canal

This forum belong to the other Canals.
John Aston

Pocklington Canal

Post by John Aston »

Now here's an interesting one- unlike nearly every other Yorkshire canal , this one starts on the age of the Wolds. And that means it isn't Pennine peaty but chalk stream clear. Checked it out the other day and it looks extraordinary -it flows through empty East Riding flatlands and very natural in appearance .Not sure if there is any boat traffic but somehow doubt it .Just impossibly clear - which is a mixed blessing as whilst I can see fish they cane see me and obviously light intensity will be critical when it comes to my target perch . Saw literally thousands (I'd say 3-4 k ) of fingerling roach under a road bridge, a pike of about 6lb and some otter spraint.

Anybody fished there ? There's ten miles on a day ticket and I will be exploring in the next week or so . Intrigued....

Phil Arnott
Crucian Carp

Re: Pocklington Canal

Post by Phil Arnott »

Hi John,

I've fished the canal on and off for years. It used to have a good head of tench but they have all disappeared however there may be some bream still left. I've had bream to 5-8 and tench to 5-0 in the past. I think you would have been at Hagg Bridge. I was once passing and spotted a guy with a good pike at Hagg bridge. I stopped to see it weighed in at 21lb pike. I've also had some nice fish from the nearby beck including chub to 3-12.

The best sport is probably fishing for good size roach and rudd just above Coates Bridge. The fish have a good average size and run to 1lb+. I've caught quite a few 1lb+ perch from the locks over the years but have struggled recently. You best bet might be at East Cottingwith near the last lock. It's free fishing below the lock.

There are otter sign all along the canal and I've seen them on a number of occasions.

Phil

John Aston

Re: Pocklington Canal

Post by John Aston »

Many thanks- you are right about my location . Will report back

Return to “Other Canals”