Limehouse Basin

This forum belong to the other Canals.
Corneybury
Dace

Limehouse Basin

Post by Corneybury »

Fished this for the first time in July off the back of my narrowboat, the "Scruffy Fox", which we had moored up along the wall after coming down the Hackney Cut from the River Lea. Although there are 'no fishing signs' all around, my interpretation was that it only applied to people fishing off the walls. As I was on my boat (i.e. my property), I felt confident in casting off the stern without getting apprehended by a jobsworth. Water is quite deep - 10' or so, so I fished midwater with float fished casters, and kept a trickle going in with every cast. Much to my delight, i started picking up nice roach, the odd perch and some very welcome 2-3lb bream. This continued for an hour or two, with the rod in one hand and a glass of red in the other - very pleasant, but after a while the wind got up and the bites stopped.

Would like to try it again, but the boat is now at Hemel Hempstead, and we have no plans to revisit this bit of the canal network.

Has anyone else tried the basin?

Mark99
Perch

Re: Limehouse Basin

Post by Mark99 »

Not tried it myself but I do a bit off my Narrowboat on various bits of canal. There's decent fishing (or was) near Hemel on the Canal.

Corneybury
Dace

Post by Corneybury »

There are indeed roach, perch and bream there, although not (I think) the zander, which plague the canal (acc. to the CRT), further up. Having never caught a zander, I personally, would like to be plagued by one!

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

From the river Lea you would have used the Limehouse Cut to get to Limehouse Basin.
This section of canal used to be very good when it was tidal,
but since they closed the gates at Bow the fishing has slowed compared to what it was.

The section just before and after the East India Dock road was good.

Return to “Other Canals”