Chesterfield canal

This forum belong to the other Canals.
Hovis
Tench

Chesterfield canal

Post by Hovis »

I don't expect that many of you folks have heard about this particular canal. But its very local to my house and carried the stone that built the houses of parliament as this was quarried nearby.

The canal now has a trust set up and you can find full details below.
http://www.chesterfield-canal-trust.org.uk/index.php

What really interests me though is the fishing on offer here. As its only 10 mins from my house I spend a fair bit of time on there mainly using up maggots that would other wise be fed to the chickens. There is nothing huge in there but you may get a shoal of bream to 4lb move in that offer good sport. The main quarry though is chub that are there in numbers and can be seen almost all year round mooching on the top looking for an easy meal. They can be caught on bait or the fly and offer good sport on a summers evening. There are the boys favourite the perch that have grown fat on fish fry and a 2lb is always on the cards.

The best thing about the canal though is the location as its still very rural and fairly secluded, being set in open countryside unlike the majority of the canal network. My favourite method is to simple wander the towpath and fish each one of the small pools that are formed by the numerous locks that are as close as 50 yards apart.

Here are a few pictures to whet peoples appetite.

If anybody every wants directions or to meet up for a fishing session just let me know via PM.
Last edited by Hovis on Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Chesterfield canal

Post by AshbyCut »

That looks delightful, Sir !
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

looks very nice

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

You barely see another soul, why people don't fish there more often is beyond me. Maybe it because there is no café or onsite tackle shop and you can't park behind you peg!

Izaak Walton

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

I sense a TFF day in the offing !
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

It does look nice Hovis.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

AshbyCut wrote:I sense a TFF day in the offing !
AC if people express an interest I'll be more than happy to arrange it. There is a lovely little butchers shop in the village that does great sausage sarnies and you can look at the 30lb pike on the wall.

The section is miles long so there is always plenty of room to fish and plenty of areas for a bit of a TFF picnic.
Last edited by Hovis on Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Izaak Walton

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Hovis wrote:if people express and interest I'll be more than happy to arrange it.
All being equal ... I'm in, Sir. Please keep me posted.

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

whatb puts me off canals are the bikes that wiz past and all those boats that said I did a lot of canal fishing as a kid

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

We get plenty of walkers up here and a few bike but a tunnel further up the length collapsed years ago so boat traffic is very very light as they have nowhere to go.

Izaak Walton

Return to “Other Canals”