Chesterfield canal

This forum belong to the other Canals.
Stathamender
Tench

Re: Chesterfield canal

Post by Stathamender »

Just a short note about fishing rights. According to this http://www.sypac.co.uk/shireoaks-ac-che ... -c286.html the stretch immediately above Shireoaks station bridge up as far as the lowest of the Turnerwood locks, which is the second lock up from the station on this stretch just beyond Cinderwood Bridge (aka 'The Rebuilt Bridge'), is controlled by Shireoaks Angling Club with access also given to members of SYPAC (you'll recognise them, they tend to say things like "'Ello, 'Ello, 'Ello, what's all this then?" and "Letsby Avenue" a lot and can be noticeably inquisitive if you're fishing with hempseed). I can't, however, find any trace of Shireoaks Angling Club on the web, there are no signs on this stretch and the CRT and Chesterfield Canal Trust web pages don't list it among the angling clubs controlling stretches. I think this may well have gone the same way as the Wales and Kiveton Park Club for the same reasons but locals may know better.

I recommend the stretch immediately below the Cinderwood bridge for roach and chub. If, however, you're approached here by a SYPAC bailiff I'd recommend you go quietly, admit they've got you bang to rights guvner and ask for other offences to be taken into consideration (many, many of them in my case) and say you'll do your porridge quiet like.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Iain

Did you catch any trout when you were up there? Strange question I know but there is a feeder from the River Ryton where a few escape from. They make quite a decent size in there.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

No trout. Couple of decent chub (c 1.75 lbs), some tiddler roach and perch.
Iain

Björn Ulvaeus

Blueavocet

Post by Blueavocet »

Hovis my friend, if they were to prize out of my grip all my fishing permits, the last one that they would get would be my Basingstoke Canal permit! I adore canal fishing. Even though I have access to top notch Yateley gravel pits, a very credible barbel river (The Lodden) I come back again and again to the local canal. Before the season closed I netted a lovely Bream of 8lb and a good bag of Rudd. Chub are few and far between on our canal, but the Tench are excellent when you find a pocket of them (I know where!). I wish you happiness on the canal! Bob

BowesAngler

Post by BowesAngler »

afternoon all. I've spent many days on the canal from Kiveton all the way upto shireoaks. Kiveton waters got handed the rights when the lease came to an end like on many different sections, handed to the local club. They ran a few matches and realised it wasn't much cop as the fish spook too easily. Shireoaks upto turner wood has been free everytime for me as I haven't seen a bailif. Always had a few quid incase as its meant to be 2.50 for a day ticket I believe. My last visit saw chub to 2lb 9oz roach to 1lb 3oz trout to just over a lb and a half lb perch. Bread, casters, worms or maggot will catch plenty in the right place. I always catch a few unless I am purely after carp, which can be challenging to say the least.

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

I've just posted something, with photos, in the 'Seen by the Water' section about a weekend visit to the Chesterfield. Mostly about the nesting swans at Turnerwood but also a bit about the pollution/algae/weed problem on the summit pound.
Iain

Björn Ulvaeus

Return to “Other Canals”