Arlesey Lake

This forum belongs to Arlesey Lake.
Mike Wilson
Perch

Re: Arlesey Lake

Post by Mike Wilson »

Thanks for that Ian. As an aside does the name Centrum Office Supplies mean anything to you?
Mike

Sandgroper
Bleak

Post by Sandgroper »

Mike Wilson wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:50 pm Thanks for that Ian. As an aside does the name Centrum Office Supplies mean anything to you?
Mike
Hi Mike,

No, I haven't heard of that company or association. I would like to know more.
Eagles may soar but I will never get sucked into a jet engine.

Mike Wilson
Perch

Post by Mike Wilson »

Its a long shot Ian but here goes.
Alan Brown phoned me to say he had a broken Grafham Ghost [red Sportex blank] damaged about 6" from the tip and did I want it to make a quiver tip rod. In those days we called it a donkey tip after Pete Stone had played around with a similar blank for better bite indication. On leaving the shop with my blank I noticed your Osprey book on Barbel which I purchased. Great book and you helped disprove all the famed lost Ouse catfish by your barbel captures. Whoops, I digress.
I then drove to drop something off at Centrum Office. My client noticed the rod and started talking about fishing and on seeing your book on the front seat said he knew you as your girlfriend/F daughter/wife [?] worked for him a short while. This must have been late 70's early 80's.
Hope I haven't intruded.

Mike

Sandgroper
Bleak

Post by Sandgroper »

Mike Wilson wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:56 pm Its a long shot Ian but here goes.
Alan Brown phoned me to say he had a broken Grafham Ghost [red Sportex blank] damaged about 6" from the tip and did I want it to make a quiver tip rod. In those days we called it a donkey tip after Pete Stone had played around with a similar blank for better bite indication. On leaving the shop with my blank I noticed your Osprey book on Barbel which I purchased. Great book and you helped disprove all the famed lost Ouse catfish by your barbel captures. Whoops, I digress.
I then drove to drop something off at Centrum Office. My client noticed the rod and started talking about fishing and on seeing your book on the front seat said he knew you as your girlfriend/F daughter/wife [?] worked for him a short while. This must have been late 70's early 80's.
Hope I haven't intruded.

Mike
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your comments regarding my Barbel book, I am pleased that you enjoyed it. The book was published in the mid 70's and we came out to Oz in 1977

The only companies Valerie worked for were the Farmer's Union and Equitable both of which were in Aylesbury and the Leagrave SKF factory in Luton. However, I did have a sister and she worked at several companies in Luton but I don't know which they were. There is no way I can ask her unfortunately being as she died last year. Are you at liberty to give me the name of your client?

Your question was interesting and in no way intruding.

Ian
Eagles may soar but I will never get sucked into a jet engine.

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

By chance I came across some material relevant to Arlesey Lake a few days ago. There's an interesting post here https://arcangelolombari.wordpress.com/ ... esey-lake/ about the history of the Lake and some links to other material about it such as this: https://arcangelolombari.wordpress.com/ ... eah-right/. From this it's clear that a much diminished lake is still there but very different to the one Walker et al fished. I believe it's this: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.03005 ... a=!3m1!1e3.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Return to “Arlesey Lake”