Where it all began

This forum belong to the Oxford Canal.
Trevor
Eel

Where it all began

Post by Trevor »

As soon as I saw the Oxford canal in this new canals section the memories began pouring back.

This is where I cast my first line, behind the bus station in Banbury town centre. Gudgeon and Stone Loach were the order of the day, with the occasional small roach or perch considered a prize catch.

Later we ventured further afield, north to 'the alley', a section that ran along the back of Alcan Extrusions where my mates brother caught a monster chub and whilst night fishing once I was 'smashed up' by a high speed train of a carp. Also south along Tramway where my older brother caught a double figure carp on light float tackle and had to stop the barges while he played it, causing a traffic jam.

Money was a bit tight when I were a lad, so we tended to forego the BDAA licence required to fish the canal. Naughty, I know, but not really a problem as the bailiff had a limp and moved slowly. Whenever we saw him hobbling along the towpath the cry of 'pegleg' went up and we would gather our tackle and scarper in the opposite direction, safe in the knowledge that he would never catch us!

Now things have come full circle. I live a few minutes walk away and both my sons have caught their first fish on the Oxford canal. There are still good stocks of gudgeon, roach, perch and chub, though the stone loach seem to have disappeared. I caught a nice 2lb chub last winter, and my brother has caught a number of the zander that have now moved into the area.

Just a few of the many memories I have of the place where my fishing life started

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Where it all began

Post by AshbyCut »

The bailiff had a limp 'what,' sir ???

Apologies ... couldn't resist.

But seriously ... Lovely memories of the start of a lifelong passion, Sir.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

A lovely read Blackadder.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Nice little tale Blackadder!
You and I may have to revist your childhood haunts some time.
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Nicely written Blackadder. We all have memories of our first fishing venues and this year I think I may go back and have a dabble on memory lane.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

What a lovely story and memories Blackadder - and great that your offspring are now fishing there :Hat:
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Return to “Oxford Canal”