Ashby Canal

This forum belongs to the Ashby Canal.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Ashby Canal

Post by AshbyCut »

The Ashby Canal was electro-fished about 4 years ago to remove the zander that had been introduced (probably in the 1970's), so I've resisted the urge to try it yet. It was also electro-fished back in the '80's and zander were found then too, and the EA currently ask that any zander caught are removed.

Even as recently as 2012, TCF magazine reported :-

http://www.tcfmagazine.com/news/item/10 ... nt&print=1

I have been told that bream are now returning towards Market Bosworth, and read a couple of years ago there were "Tench (8oz to 1lb) and skimmers (same stamp). There are roach, perch, rudd, chub and small carp also present."

I did have a few sessions a couple of years ago near the junction with the Coventry ... but blanked at every attempt, though I did have roach and perch on the Coventry nearby.

Part of the Ashby Cut are an SSI, above Market Bosworth, and therefore subject to seasonal restrictions.

I'm hoping that once I have the bit of surgery I'm awaiting (though the last waiting list I was on took 12 months to hit my turn) I will be able to investigate the 'Ashby Cut' more thoroughly this coming year.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Ashby Canal

Post by Mark »

The Ashby Canal was also electro-fished about 16 years ago, they took 900lb of Zander out of a three mile stretch from Shackerstone to Market Bosworth.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

That's roughly the area designated an SSI, Sir.

For those who don't know ... The Ashby is unusual as it is the longest stretch of canal without a lock in the country .. currently over 26 miles ... though there are plans to link it again with a section near Moira recreating the section from Shakerstone past Measham... and possibly in the distant future making the link with the Trent that was planned at its inception but never dug due to the growth of the railways.

http://www.ashbycanal.org.uk/ashby_canal_slideshow.html
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

I'd be quite interested in wetting a line at this canal, where are the places to fish at and who has the rights?
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

The length from the Bedworth Junction (with the Coventry Canal) to the Market Bosworth Bridge can be fished on a day ticket from a bailiff (never seen one, but I have a Wanderers License) for a fiver ... or with a Waterway Wanderer license for £20 a year (£10 concessions ... £5 Junior). This license gives access to the entire canal system in England and Wales which has not been leased to angling clubs. I believe the section of the Ashby around Shakerstone is leased to the Shakerstone Club.

http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and- ... ers-scheme

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

:Hat:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Return to “Ashby Canal”