What Breaking Strain Line For Perch Spinning?

This forum is for discussing Lure Fishing.
MaggotDrowner
Zander

What Breaking Strain Line For Perch Spinning?

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I will be buying a light perch spinning rod for myself soon. What breaking strain line is best to use? Obviously I'll have a trace on to protect any pike I might hook. I don't want a line too heavy, that it will not break before my rod does or puts a set in it. But at the same time I don't want to leave lures in a pike after if it snaps my line because it's too low a breaking strain.

I'm struggling and need advice. :Confused:

What do others use?

Braid is not an option. My club have banned it.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Snape
Bailiff

Re: What Breaking Strain Line For Perch Spinning?

Post by Snape »

I use 6lb Maxima
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Snape wrote:I use 6lb Maxima
Good advice. :Wink:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

My initial thought was 6lb. But I hate maxima. I might go with drennan series 7 6.9lb line as I have two bulk spools of it lying about the place. I just wanted to check no one said 10lb or anything really different! I've only ever done lure fishing for pike really before now. Thanks guys. :Sun:
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Blueavocet

Post by Blueavocet »

I too would use 6-8lb line, but would recommend that you rehearse all your rationale as some club bailiffs are sure that all spinning is for pike and then they press the breaking strain line requirements (to say nothing about net size) regarding those fish. I fish a local canal where the pike do run typically to 10lb and there are some good perch too, so I feel I can make a very good argument there.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Hi Jack, it really should depend on the line rating of the rod.
Allcocks Light Casters, Hardy Wanless, Farlows and Sharpes spinning rods come in a variety of line strengths starting at 1-2lb (thread line rods) then usually 4-5lb, 6-7lb and 9-10lb. So depending on the rod you purchase the line strength will be almost decided for you.

There is a bit of leeway in all the sizes but if you make a rule of not exceeding these suggested line strengths, you shouldn't cause any damage to the rod.

There are a lot of good unnamed spinning rods out there too so don't ignore them in your search but do ask sellers for cane dimensions.

As a rough guide line I would say a rod of 4-5lb is ideal for big perch and small pike and will still have a nice casting ability with fairly small baits.

The cane dimensions for a 7ft rod of this strength is similar to the middle and tip sections of an Avon rod but slightly thicker or swelled at the point just above the handle. The 9-10lb rods are very similar to carp rod dimensions, you'll get the picture I'm sure.

Wal.

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

I`ve been beaten by Wal, my line rating is balanced to the rod........

GarryProcter
Arctic Char

Post by GarryProcter »

Might also be worth testing your line MD, to see what it actually breaks at. Never used the Drennan line that you have, but many lines break at significantly higher than the stated strain. You might find your 6.9 lb line breaks at a higher test than you think - and whatever the result you will know what strain you are actually using, not relying on what it says on the spool.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Is it wise to put a trace on for spinning for perch I've always thought it put them off taking a lure?
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Some clubs insist on a wire trace when spinning for anything! There are some fine but strong wires available which must help when perch fishing.
I do use a trace but I normally use soft lures for perch rather than hard ones.

Return to “Lure Fishing”