Trying something new - I'm going lure fishing.

This forum is for discussing Lure Fishing.
MaggotDrowner
Zander

Trying something new - I'm going lure fishing.

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Okay, so I'm not totally new to this game but it is something I do fairly infrequently. Perhaps on a cold, icy day when I just have to get out fishing. Lure fishing appeals then because you are very mobile and walking around keeps you warm. I've never done it this early in the year before though.

I've had a few pike and perch on lures, but more often than not they fall off. I think perhaps they don't like the hard plastic and so drop the lure or it puts them off. So I have bought some of the new rubber ones.

Any other tips for a novice lure angler?

I'm looking forward to learning when I return.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Bob Brookes
Zander

Re: Trying something new - I'm going lure fishing.

Post by Bob Brookes »

MD,
Strike hard to set the hook. I think not doing that is the main reason I used to lose fish when I first started lure fishing.
Bob
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have used the "rubber" shads to good effect as have others on here! A jig head and a shad + wire trace is all that's required apart from the usual unhooking kit & landing net.

Watch a few YouTube videos on it to see how they work and the many variations!

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I would buy a selection of jig heads for the soft plastics. For me what works is the colder the weather the slower the retrieve. Best colours are motor oil and orange. Ones with curly tails are very good. If bites are slow retrieve slower and trim the lures head off; reducing the lures size can really work surprisingly well and just the curly tail with a little bit of the body can be the difference between no bites and lots. But the smaller I go the slower I retrieve.

5-6" worms select the better fish especially chub and perch.

Good luck MD
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

Cast radially and work your depths with different lures...if its not hard work you ain't doing it right. If all else fails use lamprey...a single hook through the front of the mouth and a small stinger down the side..a bit cheeky but the scent often gets 'em going.
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

First and foremost MD, what rod are you using? If you are lure fishing with a coarse rod then you do not have enough 'grunt' in the right place to set the hooks. Lure rods are designed for a purpose, short with generally a firm action. That and a firm strike is what is needed.

Also, your choice of line has en effect. The only time I use braid is when lure fishing as it transmits bites to your rod tip more quickly and makes the strike more direct.

Last - sharp hooks.

Once you start hitting a few you'll love it, you may even get as good as Mr Brookes...... but I doubt it :Happy:

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I'm back having caught three pike. I think I had six hits good takes. So 50% isn't bad. Thanks for all the interesting and very insightful replies.
Bob Brookes wrote:MD,
Strike hard to set the hook. I think not doing that is the main reason I used to lose fish when I first started lure fishing.
Bob
I've often wondered about the firmness of the strike. I sometimes wondered if I wasn't setting the hooks and then other times the lure would be pulled out of the water and go flying - as if I was snatching it from the fishes mouth before it shut it. It's about getting the timing right I guess?
Dave Burr wrote:First and foremost MD, what rod are you using? If you are lure fishing with a coarse rod then you do not have enough 'grunt' in the right place to set the hooks. Lure rods are designed for a purpose, short with generally a firm action. That and a firm strike is what is needed.

Also, your choice of line has en effect. The only time I use braid is when lure fishing as it transmits bites to your rod tip more quickly and makes the strike more direct.

Last - sharp hooks.

Once you start hitting a few you'll love it, you may even get as good as Mr Brookes...... but I doubt it :Happy:
I use my Hardy LRH no2 spinning rod. I know they are for salmon really but it packs a fair punch. I guess it is suitable? I would consider braid, if it weren't banned. Well... the rules say no braided leaders, so I guess braided mainline is a no no too. I already love it, Dave as with most forms of the sport I have tried. I just feel I'm not all that good at it. And no, I don't think I'll ever be as good as Mr Brookes. :fishing2: Those perch he catches.... :mrgreen: :drool:

Santiago and Olly, I'm not sure what you mean by gig heads but I'll google it.

Aquaerial, When fishing water that is deep I let the lure sink more before starting to wind back in. I try to cover all the depths.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

This pike was caught on this lure. It is one with a loud rattle and it glides across the surface creating a v shape. I fished in in a pool (part of a river) I know to be very shallow. Really exciting seeing the pike take it and the huge splash. The pike often tail walked in the shallow water and I guess the fact the lure was taken on the surface increased the chances of that too. I'd never tried surface lures before.

This pike (and the third) was caught on this rubber lure.

This lure is quite difficult to unhook. Too many hooks all over it. Perhaps I could replace the hook on the underside with a single or a double or remove it altogether? What do people think?
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

I always lure fish Barbless Hooks - sharpened - and reduce/ remove the ridiculously oversized and too many - trebles that many lures come with - which are on my view - harmful to fish, net and Angler ! If I miss a few hook ups as a result - at least I am comfortably knowing I am not increasing the likelihood of damage to the fish.

GarryProcter
Arctic Char

Post by GarryProcter »

Same here MD, I squeeze down the barbs on my lures, and on some I cut off one of the hooks of the trebles, making them in effect, doubles.

Return to “Lure Fishing”