Alternative trace materials....

This forum is for discussing Lure Fishing.
Aitch
Pike

Alternative trace materials....

Post by Aitch »

I'm planning to do a bit of lure fishing for Perch this season I have quite a few small lures, plugs and other artificials but I'm concerned that Pike will nab the odd one or two, with that in mind I have some wire traces but some of then are rather too heavy for the lightwieght lures I'll be using... can a doubled & twisted braid be used as a trace, or are there any other ways to protect your mainlines from Pike bite-offs

Many thanks

Aitch
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Alternative trace materials....

Post by Santiago »

Pike's teeth will cut braid like a razor.. Traces for pike have to be wire! When lure fishing for perch I use a 10lb bs wire that is very good yet low diameter, and can even be knotted, and I have never lost a pike to it! Details are at home in my tackle box so if you want the details let me know and I'll post them when I can.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Can you PM me the make please BF.... I was looking for something supple and lightweight as I'm planning on trying a bit more drop shotting this year on the upper Lea, Roding, Blackwater and Pant...

I've heard that larger Perch are not happy about wire traces and I'm also concerned that the wire will ruin the action of my lures..... (5-10 gram rubber shads)

Frenchman

Post by Frenchman »

Yep has to be wire. I have a friend that tried to convince me that a tough fluoro was man enough but it isn't as he proved to me.

I do a fair bit of light lure fishing for chub and perch and use Caliber wonder wire. It's a lovely supple 49 strand wire it's just difficult to buy. Email this fella inspiredanglingservices@gmail.com. It can be tied but I tend to favour crimping it these days.

I was about to the post above and then noticed you wanted to drop shot.

Hmmm :Scared:

Seeing as drop shotting doesn't seem to be the best way to catch pike and it's a single hook not trebles, I think I might be tempted to fish barbless and drop the wire. If you do get a bite off the barbless hook will be shaken free quickly

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

I'm not actually after Pike..... I've done all the Pike fishing I wanted to years ago.... (still got a couple of scars as memories :Hahaha:)
I'm after Perch and possibly Chub with ultra-lite lures and drop shotting methods.... I was worried about hooking a Pike in the process and not wanting to get bitten off leaving a hook/lure in a fish....

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Bluelabel the wire I use for perch/chub ultra-lite plug fishing is Drennan 'Soft Strand' at 10lb. It has the thickness of about 6lb maxima (to my eyes, but not specified on packet). My son and I have caught plenty of perchup to 3lb and chub up to near 6lb using it, with the occational pike up to 12lb. But I know you do'nt want it for pike fishing and I would not recommend it for pike, but it will cope with small to medium sized pike should you accidentally catch one.

As well as small plastic shads I would also recommend the ultra-lite Rapalas and Salmos; their deep diving versions work very well for us on the Thames, and I've sometimes lost count of the number of fish caught in some sessions!

Hemingway

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I concur with Bigfish, the Drennan soft strand is very good.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Many Thanks Chaps.... does it come in ready made traces, or do you have to make your own.... if so what method do you use...?

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Aitch just dragged this off tinternet

Drennan Soft Strand

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

It comes on a roll of 10 metres and you have to make your own traces, which is actually very easy because as the packet says it's "so supple you can knot it". No need for crimps etc. I knot it direct to a small swivel or even direct to the mainline; for both I use a simple loop knot but you have to tie the knot slowly otherwise it kinks. You can also use a 3 turn water knot to tie the wire direct to the mainline. For the business end I tie it to a small swivel with a release attachment (technical term escapes me at the moment). I use traces of about 12" and this lenght seems to be ok for the rare miscrient pike.

I also sometimes use the 3 turn grinner as recommended above!

Hemingway

Return to “Lure Fishing”