Weir fishing advice please.

This forum is for discussing Ledgering.
Cat
Chub

Weir fishing advice please.

Post by Cat »

Hi All,
I've found a little stretch of the Derwent in Derbyshire that I'm able to buy a day ticket for, with chub and barbel apparently present. I'll be able to get within 40 yards below the weir. So, some advice please in respect of techniques...obviously I'll be having to cast up stream. Trotting for chub seems a possibility, although there appears to be margin weed (difficult to say in the middle), so may leave the chub until later in the season. No idea what size the barbel go up to, but intended to use a MkIV with 8 / 10 / 12lb.
Advice appreciated as it will be my first time on a weir.
Regards and thanks Cat 🐈.

Barbus Maximus
Stickleback

Re: Weir fishing advice please.

Post by Barbus Maximus »

Hi cat,
I have fished a local weirpool on a Thames tributary many times for its barbel. I find the crease between the main flush of water and the back flow on either side to be good areas, especially for rolling a lump of meat around. The deep water in the slacks further down the flow are also good as is the tail end of the white water where it steadies out.
10lb line is often a good idea as weirpools can be very snaggy. Keep your tackle and tactics simple and search all likely looking areas as well as you can.
If you can stay after dark that can help whilst you get to know the area.
Hope that all makes sense and good luck.
Regards Barbus

Cat
Chub

Re: Weir fishing advice please.

Post by Cat »

Thank you... appreciated. Cat.

Return to “Ledgering”