How tight?

This forum is for discussing Ledgering.
Joshluke
Dace

How tight?

Post by Joshluke »

The main method I use on rivers is touch ledgering, however I'm still figuring out my preferred method of holding the line. Currently I'm holding the rod with my right hand and using my left to hold the line between my thumb and index finger with my middle, ring, and pinky fingers pulling tight on the line below. My three fingers put the line ninety degrees to the rod.
The only problem I'm having is how tight do I hold the line between my thumb and index finger. If I hold it tight then I seem to not be able feel anything whereas if loose, I can feel a lot more but the line feels loose.
How tight do you hold the line?
Fishing is not just a sport, it's a way of life. It's an escape from reality, away from the hustle and bustle of daily life. It's just you, a river, and an old Willow tree hidden away from everything.

Reedling
Catfish

Re: How tight?

Post by Reedling »

I normally where possible hold rod in right hand and have the line going around my index finger on a limp wrist with forearm on knee. You feel the bite through the rod as much as through your finger and the combination gives you the feel. As you pull the line into an angle with the rod it connects with the end gear and the slack is taken up. Its a funny old feeling when you get it right as the fish virtually pulls the rod towards your index finger providing you are holding the rod gently so it can be moved.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I feel giving a bit of slack can give the fish more confidence to take the bait.

However I prefer to fish using the bending/bouncing rod tip as an indicator when river fishing or an indicator in still water.

I would never touch ledger when using braid.

Joshluke
Dace

Post by Joshluke »

Olly wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:32 pm I feel giving a bit of slack can give the fish more confidence to take the bait.

However I prefer to fish using the bending/bouncing rod tip as an indicator when river fishing or an indicator in still water.

I would never touch ledger when using braid.
That's what I thought, holding it loose also allows me to give some line if the situation dictates.
I always use either a float or indicator on a stillwater but regarding rivers, I really got bored watching a rod tip. Never enjoyed watching a quiver tip either. When touch ledgering I like to look around and take in the sights around me wether it's a kingfisher zooming downstream or a watervole working the far bank.
I always use mono anyway except when lure fishing, which reminds me, I need a cane lure rod :Hahaha:

Reedling wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:16 pm I normally where possible hold rod in right hand and have the line going around my index finger on a limp wrist with forearm on knee. You feel the bite through the rod as much as through your finger and the combination gives you the feel. As you pull the line into an angle with the rod it connects with the end gear and the slack is taken up. Its a funny old feeling when you get it right as the fish virtually pulls the rod towards your index finger providing you are holding the rod gently so it can be moved.
I've never heard of that method so I'll definitely have to try it out. I feel like that would be good to use on wary fish where you can't tell if it's a bite or a bit of weed flowing downstream. Will definitely have to pay attention though, don't want a hungry Barbel pulling my rod in while I'm not concentrating.
Thank you, I look forward to trying this out.
Fishing is not just a sport, it's a way of life. It's an escape from reality, away from the hustle and bustle of daily life. It's just you, a river, and an old Willow tree hidden away from everything.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I point the rod directly at the lead, and hold the line reasonably tight just enough not to move the lead because I find I feel far more that way. The trick is to select the right size of lead for the flow etc.etc. Too small and the lead moves too easily making it hard to keep in contact, and too large the fish spook to easily when they feel they weight. You also have to consider the length of the hooklink. If you feel loads of bites but miss them then make it longer until you catch, and vice versa. You should be able to feel the tiniest of vibrations that occur just before that pluck pluck!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Santiago wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:44 am I point the rod directly at the lead, and hold the line reasonably tight just enough not to move the lead because I find I feel far more that way. The trick is to select the right size of lead for the flow etc.etc. Too small and the lead moves too easily making it hard to keep in contact, and too large the fish spook to easily when they feel they weight. You also have to consider the length of the hooklink. If you feel loads of bites but miss them then make it longer until you catch, and vice versa. You should be able to feel the tiniest of vibrations that occur just before that pluck pluck!
Basically the same as I do above but I have more of an angle with the rod tip to the end tackle, you can then fine tune the feel between you the line the rod and your bait, it becomes very sensitive and you feel at one with what you cannot see under the water. :Hat:

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I was just thinking about the feel you get when fishing this way and I suppose you could liken it to that same feeling I remember if you were figure of eighting a nymph etc on a fly rod.. its a good feeling when you get the plucks and takes.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I'm fishing slow moving rivers, for roach, chub and perch. I use as light a lead as will hold the bottom (never more than 0.5 oz) and I hold the line very gently normally between middle and ring finger and thumb. Finger tips are extremely sensitive things, more so if you don't put pressure on them. Holding the line delicately seems to be an intrinsic part of the method. Bites are very positive and never fail to register.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I almost always touch leger on moving water and hold the line on the same finger as I cast and control my line with. I started angling very young and couldn't reach my reel with my index finger so have always used my love tool instead. I don't like the line tight to my finger so ease the pressure a little with a slight bend in the tip but bow the rod slightly upon the first tap felt giving enough rope for them to hang themselves.
I'm talking mostly chub here as barble I often find I'm playing one and never really noticed what happened between that moment and the waiting period. Having said that, I have had a fair few slow moving, delicate biting winter fish.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Touch ledgering is my favourite method of bite detection and I point the rod directly at the bait and tighten up until I just feel the lead.
I hold the line almost identically as you do but only have my middle finger pulling the line 90 degrees from the rod. I hold it lightly in my thumb and index finger and the tip of my middle finger is the bite detector.
Makes me want to go now!
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Return to “Ledgering”