Clipping-up - any substitutes?

This forum is for discussing Ledgering.
Vole
Rainbow Trout

Clipping-up - any substitutes?

Post by Vole »

I thought I'd dig out the fixed-spools and try for a bream or two, but, of course, you can't clip-up to hit the same distance every time with old , non skirted spools.
So I wondered if anyone could pass on any dodges or devices for hitting the same spot in wide-open water, please?
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Aquaerial
Chub

Re: Clipping-up - any substitutes?

Post by Aquaerial »

The use of elastic bands and tippex in various ways can achieve all your objectives inexpensively and flexibly.
You can even use an elastic band as a free spool facility or line clip bail arm off...
I hope that is of help.
GoodLuck
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Find your distance and then place an elastic band round the spool... you can retrieve over the band... or alternatively you can tie some light pole elastic to the line when you find your distance and stop the cast when you hear the elastic rattle throung the rod rings...
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I wouldn't worry about hitting the same spot with every cast. If you concentrate the loose feed too much for bream fishing, once you spook the fish by a near missed bite etc.etc, you'll probably have to wait longer for another bite, than if the loose feed was spread around a little. Good casting should be adequate. Spooked bream can stop feeding for several hours from a baited area! Bream tend to feed by queuing up to baited spots, and take turns to feed, and the whole shoal is more prone to being spooked if feed is presented too tightly. More important is your presentation and length of hooklink, which needs to match the mood of the feeding fish. Longer for finicky bites, and shorter for aggressive feeding. I tend to start bream fishing with a longer hooklink and then shorten it once they start feeding more freely.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Thanks, Gentlemen, an elastic band worked far better than I'd hoped. No fish to show for it, but progress!
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

I don't do this but I do use thick rubber bands to hold the line in place when storing fixed spool spare spools.
The rubber bands I find best are short and thick and are used for lobster claws 2" x 0.5"
Like these https://goo.gl/yL91gk

They should do the trick.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Many thanks - I've just ordered some.

Return to “Ledgering”