Upstream legering.

This forum is for discussing Ledgering.
Marc
Sea Trout

Upstream legering.

Post by Marc »

I appreciate that to some this might be angling 101, however all my angling experience is self leant and book based so bear with me.

I understand the principle of upstream legering. Cast to your chosen swim, use enough weight 'just' to hold bottom, leave a bow in the line and.... That's all I know.

So, how do I position the rod? How big is the bow meant to be? Will bite detection be impeded using cane? Will straight forward paternoster be ok?

All help welcome. :Hat:
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Reedling
Catfish

Re: Upstream legering.

Post by Reedling »

Never heard of it to be honest but in the tidal Thames estuary where there is quite a flow, and the water shallow, we use a method called uptiding. You cast away from the boat up tide, allow a bow in the line so the lead grips well and the rod top then pulls down into a bend. When a fish takes there is normally a sharp pull down and the lead releases... fish on....normally. Uptide rods are normally longer than most boat rods, more like a mini beachcaster at around 9 foot ish and a nice thin flick tip and usually coupled to an ABU 65/7000 or similar.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Thanks gents. It's definitely a thing. I've trawled the net and found many references and looked through my library and found odd mentions, but no in depth descriptions. There's a few swims that I can't fish from upstream and I'm keen to winkle a barbus or Chevin (well definitely Chevin, whom I kidding) out of them.

I keep looking.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Reedling does a pretty good job of the basics there PoD, it is just uptiding on a river.

The 'amounts' of lead, bow in line and positioning of rod are all down to the amount of flow. On the Wye for example, I've paid out many yards of line so that the rod, when facing straight out,is bending to the weight of the line in a downstream direction, despite the lead being well upstream. Everything needs to be just 'so', this way, when a bite happens, the rod usually bounces once then falls slack. At this point you pick it up and wind like buggery until you make contact to the fish which inevitably hooks itself (please don't judge me).

Alternatively, the fish may pick up your bait and run downstream so you don't get the bounce as your lead is dislodged in the same way. You identification will be the rod top bouncing as the lead trundles along the bottom (experienced more when you are touch ledgering). Again, wind and heave ho!

The last bite is the fish heading upstream and not too bothered by the fact that it is dragging your lead and thirty yards of line behind it. The rod just bends upstream and, were you to dawdle, would follow the fish into the water.

On gentler currents its a lot more sensitive. You can put a smaller bow in the line and watch it or the point where it enters the water for bite detection. The same bites as before will happen but the weight of the current will play less part in it.

None of the above is impeded by cane, in fact bites are often so positive with upstreaming, you could get away with a broom handle :Happy:

Experiment and enjoy.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Used a lot on the Kennet.

Requirements - A lead to hold bottom - reel in so your rod is bent towards the lead - just lift the rod when the rod tip bounces back towards you - the fish is usually hooked. Usually fished up and over - towards the far bank. The lead can be worked downstream to a hole or under trees when it is too difficult from upstream. Used with normal baits - boilie/cheese/meat/etc. A method rather like Reedling only scaled down for coarse fish

Feeder/Ledgering the Thames - across and down as Firebird states - lead/feeder to hold bottom - paternostered to allow the hook-length to hang downstream of the feed. Cast across and slightly upstream - let a bow form with the rod pointed downstream and parallel to the bank - quiver tip will bend towards feeder - bites are like above, dropbacks, with the fish usually hooked. I use this with a maggot/caster/hemp blockend feeder and small hooks.

The first method will work on the Wear upstream of Durham - Shincliffe area. Whilst the second works in Durham itself where the Cathedral is and the river slower/wider. Both can be used with cane subject to a bend in the tip!

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Thank you again men. I'll give it a go. Worst that can happen is I blank and it's not like that's never happened, best that can happen I succeed.

Always learning.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Marc, just go upstream and cast down, its easier. :Hahaha:

Wal.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Cheers Wal and I'm I right in thinking you don't hold the hook and chuck the rod at the fish? :Sarcasm:
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

Return to “Ledgering”