What's this method called?

This forum is for discussing Ledgering.
Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: What's this method called?

Post by Tengisgol »

Firebird wrote:
MaggotDrowner wrote: How much shot should you use? I assume the normal shotting weight is irrelevant and you just use enough to get to where you want to be and to hold still?
Presumably. Which would be rather more than you might like. Hard to think of a good reason to fish like that. In a howling gale perhaps.
It's certainly good in a chop, no doubt, but this is a fun way of fishing around the margins in any conditions and it works. I normally use two or three swan shot. Excellent and exciting bites. The most rewarding catch I had was one Sunday afternoon when I had an hour and a half, snuck around the boilie fishers and took seven lovely commons to mid-doubles when no-one else was catching. Maybe it works because nobody in these waters is fishing torn off meat in the margins (so there is no suspicion).
I don't know.

Here is one on the peacock quill as described and you can see the end tackle. Works for me!

Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

If you think the weight may put them off, Firebird, you could always fish it with a running weight - pop the shot on a running link ledger or use an arlesey bomb. I guess that should work to?

But it does work for Tengisgol, though three swan does sound a lot to me too. I'm going to be giving it a go very soon. (Well, I hope so anyway. :Beg: ).
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

I would suggest that if you didn't use a link or similar and attached quite a few SSG+ to the line, you of course would get resistance, but also create a float/ledger bolt rig....... :Scared:....

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

There was a very interesting piece in John Wilson's Specimen Fishing Year where he conducted some experiments with the help of John Bailey and John Judge about resistance etc. - I will try and copy it here.

Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Return to “Ledgering”