Leger stops

This forum is for discussing Ledgering.
Stathamender
Tench

Re: Leger stops

Post by Stathamender »

Olly wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:15 pm Not quite sure about the line running straight through to the hook?

I too use a hook length attached to a swivel or a rubber quick change bead with the mainline at the other end of the swivel to the reel.

The lead/shot nylon link is tied to a run ring which slides up and down the line to an Enterprise rubber bead covering the swivel/bead. The nylon link ends with a weight/shot and between the run ring and the lead is the ledger stop which weakens the nylon link - perhaps a knot would do the same.

If the lead gets stuck, with or without a fish, a hard pull on the line will make the lead link break and not your hook length.
I misunderstood your original post. I thought you put the stop on the reel line.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

No - a definite one! Had the line snap due them in the past. Lost a couple of fish and never ever again!

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Olly wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:16 pm Feeders - I have used the Black Cap (by Kamasan) feeders for many years now without any problems with their variable weights and sizes. I recently purchased some Drennan Feederbombs with a power gum base lid (?) but I am yet to use them. They look better for stillwater or slow river use than the Dorset Stour.
I've looked at the Kamasans but they still seem to be quite heavy, I often want to use a feeder (with e.g. maggots, hemp or corn) on quite light float style tackle. I've just been sorting through a sackful of feeders of all different types I got as part of a joblot a few years back. I've found a few more where I think I'll be able to remove the lead strip and substitute a link with some swan or a lightish bomb. I use feeders mainly on still or slow waters so I don't feel the need for huge amounts of weight you see on so many feeders these days. I had a look through a sack of various different types of feeder I got as part of a job lot of stuff a few years back and came up with several that could still be adapted by removing the lead strip.
On the left in green is 'Old Faithful' the sole remaining one of the feeders I bought back in 1972 when I first started using them. I also found these in the sack:

Never seen anything like this in a tackle shop or on a web page. Anybody recognise them? They might even be completely home-made.

Finally some of the links I use to attach the feeders, it's important to me to be able to sitch from float to feeder and back some times with minimal changes so I often keep a couple of float stops on a foot or so above the link swivel and maybe a float rubber.
As to the Drennan Feederbombs they still start out heavier than I'd like and the lead doesn't look removable, these others here http://www.drennantackle.com/products/f ... ht-feeder/ seem to be te thing that would best meet my needs.

Incidentally while going through the tackle box today I found I had been keeping the various beads (rubber shock, slider beads etc) in a container given me by my GP earlier this year for a urine sample. I don't think I ever used it for that purpose.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

The one in the top photo was very common as a blockend feeder but although I still have some - goodness only know who made them then! - but it has been coloured possibly by a felt tip pen. Very useful they are! Especially green, black and browns.

I also have a large collection of the all green Drennan feeders in the second photo.. Some I altered by aralditing a ledger bomb into the base or using a pierced bullet on the power gum that keeps the cap on. This made them fly very straight - something Drennan has copied (?) by making his new Feederbombs!

These old feeders came in two separate series. One with twin holes at the base and a lead on the side. The other ones had one hole and a extendable plastic (?) link through the middle with a clip at the base for a lead shaped like a plummet to fit it. The clip enabled you to change the weight of the feeder.

I notice the Drennan ring at the top for a running feeder and the shots on the nylon link as the weight.

The links in the last photo are similar to the old John Roberts lead links and the pike paternoster.

PS:- The feeder referred to above with a clip is now the 'carp feeder'. Which are 10g - 15g and 20g.

Chris Bettis
Crucian Carp

Post by Chris Bettis »

I use a swivel to make the join, the finer the line the smaller the swivel. Works well for me.

Return to “Ledgering”