A very special treat of a rod

The Oliver's of Knebworth Rods forum.
Paul F
Sea Trout

A very special treat of a rod

Post by Paul F »

I have worked very hard for my employer in 2016, meeting many of my sales targets, and for once I have been well rewarded with a lovely bonus.

I have some personal things to get sorted, and some treats for my 85yr old mum, but I had enough to treat myself to something special.

I had been watching this rod on the bay, in discussion with another TFF member I discovered my first choice rod is as rare as rocking horse do do, and above my budget, but this one would be worth a punt.

Just after 9.30pm Sunday it was mine, and it arrived safe and secure today.

It is an Oliver's of Knebworth Kennet Perfection.

The seller described it to be unused, which I had my doubts, the photo's were not great, but it looked pretty good.

Well when I opened it, it looks to be used, but immaculate, it has the original ruby/yellow tipped to the rings and fine ruby inters, aluminium stoppers, blued ferules which fit snug and pull apart with a resounding pop.

It has a few dings to the varnish where it has been fished in a rest, and some cracks to the varnish on a couple of whippings, which is being over critical, but other than that it is superb.

It has just become my favorite rod and I cannot wait to christen it.

Here are the photo's taken from the ebay posting

RBTraditional
Catfish

Re: A very special treat of a rod

Post by RBTraditional »

What a fantastic rod Paul, I can understand why you are pleased as punch. Hope you get the chance to use it soon....we will of course expect a full report!
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Lovely looking rod Paul, the red and yellow "goes" , my only concern is the cracks in the varnish by the ferules, probably caused by the rod being pulled apart incorrectly , you really need to sort that before using it. That aside well done on a fine piece of cane, hope you enjoy it. :Hat:

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Paul D wrote:Lovely looking rod Paul, the red and yellow "goes" , my only concern is the cracks in the varnish by the ferules, probably caused by the rod being pulled apart incorrectly , you really need to sort that before using it. That aside well done on a fine piece of cane, hope you enjoy it. :Hat:
Thanks Paul, but I think the photo looks worse, looking close up, they are quite faint hairline cracks not going all through, it looks like some slight shrinkage, there is the same on a couple of rings.
I think at 51 my varnish has shrunk a bit too :Chuckle:

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

It is stunning and I was watching that myself.

I don't really know if I am about to say the right thing - and I would like to know what others think who may know better - but I'd be inclined to consider giving it a coat of varnish before being used. I have seen a small number of Oliver's rods (and own one) and have a seen those cracks in the original varnish open up and let moisture in, leading to a risk of delamination.

All said with the best intention, if I may be right, of sealing the next fifty years of your rod's active service. One for the experts to give some advice or allay any concerns I have raised.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Tengisgol wrote:It is stunning and I was watching that myself.

I don't really know if I am about to say the right thing - and I would like to know what others think who may know better - but I'd be inclined to consider giving it a coat of varnish before being used. I have seen a small number of Oliver's rods (and own one) and have a seen those cracks in the original varnish open up and let moisture in, leading to a risk of delamination.

All said with the best intention, if I may be right, of sealing the next fifty years of your rod's active service. One for the experts to give some advice or allay any concerns I have raised.
I think that is what Paul D was alluding to, and I think you are both right :Thumb:

I think a light cut back and a couple of thin coats of varnish would do the rod more good than harm.

The weather is not going to be too great the weekend, so that gives me something to do :Hat:

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Beautiful looking rod Paul, well done mate that's a great works bonus by anyone's standards.
I agree with others, get a bit of varnish rubbed into the cracks to keep the enemy out. It will stop the whipping from going black if nothing else.

Wal.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Well done Paul - well done indeed. I have a B.James Kennet Perfection and it is without doubt one of my favourite rods BUT I am told by others that the Oliver's Kennet Perfection was a far nicer rod than the B.James version. Perhaps we can compare during the course of 2017 with another trip somewhere.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I stand to be corrected but I'm less concerned about the cracking to the whipping around the ferrule. One of my new built MkIVs cracked within a year or two but it's since done hundreds of hours fishing with no sign at all of water getting in and there is no discolouration the silk.

I suppose it occurs if the ferrule moves on the cane marginally. You could always put a couple of coats of varnish on it but my guess is that they will crack again pretty quickly.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

PershoreHarrier wrote:Well done Paul - well done indeed. I have a B.James Kennet Perfection and it is without doubt one of my favourite rods BUT I am told by others that the Oliver's Kennet Perfection was a far nicer rod than the B.James version. Perhaps we can compare during the course of 2017 with another trip somewhere.
Thanks Keith for the message, a trip to the kennet would be a perfect location to compare notes :Wink:

Return to “Oliver's of Knebworth Cane Rods”