I smell a rat (or two) on eBay - two Oliver's rods for sale

The Oliver's of Knebworth Rods forum.
Tengisgol
Barbel

I smell a rat (or two) on eBay - two Oliver's rods for sale

Post by Tengisgol »

Identical photos being used to sell two separate Oliver's rods, one in Bathgate and one in Norfolk, looks a bit suspicious to me...

Any thoughts?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OLIVERS-of-KN ... 2c8b9eaad6

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OLIVERS-of-KN ... 4adb7536d3
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Robbi
Tench

Re: I smell a rat (or two) on eBay - two Oliver's rods for s

Post by Robbi »

Certainly looks the same photo at least, maybe a quick nob to ebay to investigate further is required.
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I think the one in Norfolk is genuine and the other is, well, an imposter.

It is quite a plain finish in terms of colour of silks used on one of Ted Oliver's rods, the ones I have seen have tended to have a more colourful scheme. I wonder if it has been re-whipped?
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Strange. I 'watched' one rod and the other I found I was already 'watching' when I opened it.

So I 'unwatched' both rods, then 'watched' just the one.....sure enough I found I was now 'watching the other one again too!

Most of Ted's rods are whipped in very pale pastel colours, sometimes a beige just a few shades different to the very cane itself, but with a thin black tipping.

Quite definitely one seller is using a cropped image from the other's auction.

I wonder if there is a question over ownership of this rod. I would caution any who are tempted to bid that 'possession is nine-tenths of the Law' is NOT actually, nor was it ever, an accurate description of of how the Law stands in this Country.

If, for example, the rod wers stolen and sold on...the new 'owner' would have no right to keep it, even though they had bouight it in all good faith and had committed no criminal offence.

If, on the other hand, there were to be a dispute over ownership with two people claiming that it was theirs, if one or both of those were to sell it on eBay, once again the new 'owner' is unlikely to get to keep it if the one of those sellers then opened a dispute through the Courts.

I can think of no simple explanation for this turn of events. Two sellers, living far apart, can't both own this rod!
Last edited by Nobby on Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

It might just be me but somehow the quality of the handle doesn't look right. I've always thought that really high quality handles look seamless between each shive but on these the join lines are quite pronounced.

As Nobby writes Oliver's silks were very subtle and if green was used then I've always seen it used with gold/yellow as well. Sometimes they are so subtle that they would use yellow and gold or straw and yellow and it looks lovely.
Last edited by Beresford on Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I thought the glue between the shives didn't look to the usual high standards too.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Also it can't be described to be in perfect condition as the female ferrule of the middle section isn't blued.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

There was a rod sold by one of them for £200 - any reason why so expensive?

Richard C
Brown Trout

Post by Richard C »

I wonder if its simply the seller hasn't the means to photograph his rod but used the other sellers cropped picture instead.
I'd like to give people the benefit of doubt but it does appear suspect I agree.
I wonder if it might be an underhand ploy to deceive too, especially as one seller is a relatively new trader. Be interesting to see if 1 rod is withdrawn on completion of sale of the first one. :holmes:
"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.".
T. S Eliot
http://richard-cleaver.blogspot.co.uk/

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Could it be that the handle has been washed in water and is still damp between the shives,
i have had the same and the cork look,s much better when completely dry. ?????

Return to “Oliver's of Knebworth Cane Rods”