Priory Rod Identification, Restoration & Eye Number Question

The Priory Rods of Bournemouth Rods forum.
Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Priory Rod Identification, Restoration & Eye Number Ques

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I would say that's it exactly M D , just like a match rod.
The mid section will bend when you need to put more pressure on and most of the tip section will just follow the line.
Nice job by the way.
Wal.

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Thanks, Wal. I plan on using it for tench and my first ever barbel (if I ever find one). It does seem a really powerful rod in the middle and the butt. More so than my 11ft or 12ft floatcasters! What sort of size fish do you think it would be happy catching? I am always a little cautious with cane because I'm still not using it.

Any idea how you go about checking a test curve or what the test curve might be?
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I would stick to a maximum of 5lb line until you have got used to it, you will land big fish on that ok if you give it line but if you get into a double that's heading for the weeds its better to drop the tip and let the mid section take the strain. Unlike a modern match rod where you are told to keep the rod tip high. Its always better for your line to break than break or seriously overstrain the tip section.
I dont think you can really put a test curve rating on float rods like yours as the curve is mainly in the tip it would probably be about 12oz but the middle section will have more beef than a 2lb carp rod at the same position.
Good luck.
Wal.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Is the mid section whole cane, or built?
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Built. It is the same format as a floatcaster, but I think the middle section is more powerful than that of a floatcaster.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

It certainly looks it, that's quite "tippy" for a built-cane middle section. As Wal says, if you keep the tip low, to protect the tip, it will have plenty of beef lower down. Think Drennan Tench Float...
Looking very good!
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

You're right about it being very tippy, Vole. I will have to see how it fishes. Had a 1/2lb perch on it today, so it wasn't really tested. Might have to wait until the next tench season, or I'll take it to a carp puddle and catch some small carp on it to about 10lb.

I wonder why the action is the way it is? What do you think it was designed for? To enjoy the fight of smaller chub, but still have a really powerful middle for big barbel?

It seems very odd to me. I cannot get my head around it, but then I mostly fish with through action rods all my life.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Return to “Priory of Bournemouth Cane Rods”