Info on Priory rod please

The Priory Rods of Bournemouth Rods forum.
Parky900

Info on Priory rod please

Post by Parky900 »

Hello all
I have recently been given a job lot of fishing tackle by a friend of the family who was clearing her garage after husband left her.
Most of it is just cheap modern stuff, a couple of poles , assorted floats etc. but there are 3 old cane rods.
I would appreciate any help in identifying what they are for 2 reasons
1) I want to use these rods , but need to know what kind of fishing they are suited to.
2) If they are worth anything I would like to offer the lady a fair price for them

The first is a Bournemouth Priory rod , 10ft 10” overall length, 3 split cane sections , Test curve approx 1lb. It has 6 rings, a 19” cork handle which has a threaded hole in the end of the aluminium butt cap . The width of the tip is 1/8”.The width of the butt section just above the handle is 1/2” . It does not have any set or splits in the cane and the varnish is in good condition but the rings are a bit rusty so need replacing, also one of the male ferrules is slightly loose.
Any help or info will be greatly appreciated

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Re: Info on Priory rod please

Post by Bumble »

Parky nearly all their cane rods were made to order so that is almost certainly a bespoke model.
Most of their customers came from that area so the Royalty, Stour and Avon is where the rod would have been used.
The builder becomes more collectable every year as people look for bargains away from the bigger names see this, http://www.cane-rods.mistral.co.uk/Cane ... ge0010.htm
They were renown for high quality cane often supplied by the bigger names in London.
Looking at the rod I think that would be superb for Chub and Tench on a lake.
Very nice indeed and quite a find.
Bumble

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Very nice. I might be tempted to add an extra couple of rings, maybe three (two on the tip and an extra in the middle?) if you are renovating it to use.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Parky900

Post by Parky900 »

Thanks for the replies chaps
Any guess at a value, considering it needs a little work ? If they do have value I don't want to take them for nothing as the lady who gave them to me could certainly do with the cash.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I have and have used a Priory rod very similar to yours Parky900 although mine has dark flaming to the cane. Mine is a very powerful rod and has been good for hard fighting Tench and good sized Carp. Mine has a very strong lower section which is handy to use if you have a big fish on and the top is fine enough for float work... which is how I like to fish mostly. Here is a picture of my rod which I restored some time back. I cannot give you a valuation I am afraid but what I can say is that there is a lot of richness in its use. :Hat: Reedling.

Look at this link...

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=12842&p=182408&hil ... ng#p182408

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I think Reedling's has an extra couple of eyes so I am guessing that my instincts are right on that.

Here's a Throop that went through eBay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Priory-rods-o ... 1264520186
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Looks a nice rod. If you're going to have to restore it I'd say a fair price would be around £40. It's not a named rod so it won't fetch top money if you were to sell it.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Priory rod were actually in Boscombe a little to the East of Bournemouth where they also owned a hotel. Their rods seem to have been built with spiral nodes and are very darkly stained, making those nodes really show up. I think they also made rods for Grove ( Suffolk) and Abbey. Tony Croft had an interview there and a walk around the factory in 1959 he said. The pay offered wasn't enough to move South, but he ended up nearby eventually after leaving Aspindales.

Return to “Priory of Bournemouth Cane Rods”