Constables of Bromley Rods

The Constable Of Bromley Rods forum.
PDuffield
Grayling

Constables of Bromley Rods

Post by PDuffield »

As you may have read in another thread (http://www.traditionalfisherman.co.uk/v ... =38&t=2253) I've recently acquired a Constable Wizard, although I didn't know what it was until forum member Browns kindly identified it for me.

I know little about this maker other than that Constables is recognised as a respected cane rod maker, but apart from the 'Forty Fore' I've not heard much about other Constables rods. Do other forum members own any or have any more information about this maker?

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Constables of Bromley Rods

Post by Nobby »

Cliff Constable retired some years ago and his old stock went to a number of people who fortunately are kind enough to list it on eBay from time to time and keep us all in spares. I can only say that his rods are highly respected, though I've seen economy 'boys' rods that were clearly built to cover the whole market and built to a price, too.

I have seen one or two other whole cane rods by Cliff, though from memory, they were all match rod rods with whole cane centre sections too.

You can be sure he made a 'wizard' though...everybody else did :)

I notice the fly rod image on the other thread had a 'golfing' themed name on it and this seems to be a thing with many of his rods......some one on the PP forum thought he was a keen golfer.

I'd say you'd had a right result there, Constable or not, it's a Wizard and it's of high build quality...probably worth three times what you paid for it. Congratulations.

PDuffield
Grayling

Post by PDuffield »

Thanks Nobby, I think you're right about it being worth a lot more than I paid, I suspect if it had retained its label and not been advertised as an Allcocks which is clearly wasn't, it would have attracted a lot more interest. I'm delighted with it, I'd originally bid expecting to get an Allcocks bag and a run of the mill rod to cannibalise for spares but now I'm going to restore it to use and as its about 25% thicker in the middle section it will be an ideal tench rod.

I was using a late Allcocks Wizard at the weekend and it felt just a little underpowered for some of the larger carpi was catching, this rod, I think, will be just right.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I think Barder rates his work and has some of his workshop equipment.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

OldFellah

Post by OldFellah »

I have a 'Wallop Brook' fly rod built by Constable and bought from the late Dermot Wilson in the 80's and I must say that it is of high quality and has certainly served me well over the years.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Alastair Agutter of Norman Agutter was a pal of Cliffs so perhaps he might be a tad biased....and he was a rod maker himself, but he writes that he thought Cliff's work the closest to the top American fly rod makers in the whole of the UK.

High praise indeed!

Corneybury
Dace

Post by Corneybury »

I have two matching Constable rods, made for me and my father in the 1960s. They are both three piece being two piece whole cane with a split cane top piece. My one had my name 'David' written near the butt section by the maker. Unfortunately I broke the top section of one by treading on it inadvertently a few years ago whilst carp fishing with it. It would be nice to get it repaired and maybe restored, as I very rarely use them today, being a bit on the heavy side.

I think they are both Wizards.

Does anyone know of a repair/restoration service for these?
Last edited by Corneybury on Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

More likely some sort of Avon ( a stepped up float rod in modern parlance ) or a Match rod for light fishing if the centre section is whole cane too. Wizards, Avocets and their ilk, which are numerous, are whole cane butt alone, both middle and tip being in built cane....usually the best the maker could manage.

There's a few professionals, and many semi-pros on this forum that could assist you in sourcing another tip section for your rod.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Corneybury wrote:I have two matching Constable rods, made for me and my father in the 1960s. They are both three piece being two piece whole cane with a split cane top piece. My one had my name 'David' written near the butt section by the maker. Unfortunately I broke the top section of one by treading on it inadvertently a few years ago whilst carp fishing with it. It would be nice to get it repaired and maybe restored, as I very rarely use them today, being a bit on the heavy side.

I think they are both Wizards.

Does anyone know of a repair/restoration service for these?
I think a journey down the A10 to Bowling Rd, Ware is in order, have a chat with Brian or John Chapman they will make you a Reproduction Wallis Wizard tip section for £51.67. Or take your other good tip section and have a copy made.

Corneybury
Dace

Post by Corneybury »

Chapmans of Ware is permanently closed according to Mr. Google. Any other suggestions to repair my two ‘Wizards’?

Return to “Constable Of Bromley Cane Rods”