Constable of Bromley 12ft Superb rod

The Constable Of Bromley Rods forum.
Lea Dweller
Pike

Constable of Bromley 12ft Superb rod

Post by Lea Dweller »

I have posted pictures and a description of this rod in the "Your latest traditional angling purchase" section, but so far I have had no response apart from "Wal" commenting on how nice it looks. Does anyone own a Superb model from Constable ( Other than BarbelFisher ) ?

Lea Dweller
Pike

Re: Constable of Bromley 12ft Superb rod

Post by Lea Dweller »

Rod Turner wrote:
Lea Dweller wrote:I have posted pictures and a description of this rod in the "Your latest traditional angling purchase" section, but so far I have had no response apart from "Wal" commenting on how nice it looks. Does anyone own a Superb model from Constable ( Other than BarbelFisher ) ?
I have one but it hasn't seen much action. Yours does look in lovely condition.
Gateleaner has one "which armed with a Speedia has tamed many a Wye and Teme Barbel."
Cane&Pin-only has one which "is sublime and perfect for my target spices [sic] "Mr Barbel" and indeed If I get lucky from time to time a wild Carp or two."
I'm sure you've read the article claiming the Superb "is a much better all round carp rod than the Mk IV" in the author's opinion.
Hello Rod, Thank you for your reply. I am sure that my rod will be ideal for bigger species, tench, barbel, plus carp up to medium size, but not light enough to trot with for any length of time! I am guessing that due to the screw winch fitting and type of label it is a later model, but not sure when it may have been made. It will certainly make a useful addition to my small number of cane "user's".
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Rod Turner wrote:
Lea Dweller wrote:Hello Rod, Thank you for your reply. I am sure that my rod will be ideal for bigger species, tench, barbel, plus carp up to medium size, but not light enough to trot with for any length of time! I am guessing that due to the screw winch fitting and type of label it is a later model, but not sure when it may have been made. It will certainly make a useful addition to my small number of cane "user's".
I could be wrong, but I think they might all have a screw winch fitting? Mine does, at any rate.
Hi Rod, it may be that the later models had screw winch fittings, but I have seen earlier Constable rods with a gold label and sliding reel bands. I am sure that someone will throw some light on the subject.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Ted, I think the Superb gained a reputation as a big fish rod and the screw winch fitting was used to help when a big fish is hooked.

The split cane section on these long rods usually runs right through the handle with no strengthening as in, dowelled like a MKIV or alloy tube around it and as such the handle itself will flex quite a lot.
This handle flexing is never really noticed when smaller fish are caught but when a large fish is encountered it flexes so much it makes the sliding ring type reel fittings move about until the reel becomes loose and it can be annoying if nothing else.
Most big fish rods will have internally reinforced handles like Walker MKIVs to prevent this happening or they may have screw down reel fittings such as Hardy's, Aspindales etc.

I owned a couple of early Sharpes Carp rods and noticed this flexing as soon as I used them, I could even feel the corks squeaking inside the reel rings. After nearly dropping a centrepin from one while trying to land a decent carp I decided it best to tape the reel fittings in place before starting fishing.

Wal.

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

I do like that. I'm on the look out for a cane carp rod. So I'm going to add a superb to my list of possibles

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Wallys-Cast wrote:Ted, I think the Superb gained a reputation as a big fish rod and the screw winch fitting was used to help when a big fish is hooked.

The split cane section on these long rods usually runs right through the handle with no strengthening as in, dowelled like a MKIV or alloy tube around it and as such the handle itself will flex quite a lot.
This handle flexing is never really noticed when smaller fish are caught but when a large fish is encountered it flexes so much it makes the sliding ring type reel fittings move about until the reel becomes loose and it can be annoying if nothing else.
Most big fish rods will have internally reinforced handles like Walker MKIVs to prevent this happening or they may have screw down reel fittings such as Hardy's, Aspindales etc.

I owned a couple of early Sharpes Carp rods and noticed this flexing as soon as I used them, I could even feel the corks squeaking inside the reel rings. After nearly dropping a centrepin from one while trying to land a decent carp I decided it best to tape the reel fittings in place before starting fishing.

Wal.
I would not question anything that you have said Wal. I have flexed the rod hard enough to pull the tip right round till the cane in the butt section takes on a curve, beyond that I would be nervous! I will take it to Romsey, I am sure that someone will enlighten me as to what it's capabilities are.

QuinetteCane
Rudd

Post by QuinetteCane »

Mine above is the 10' 7" version. I have never had concern with any part of it
Possibly less of a leverage problem than the 12'
The closest I have is a 12' Sabrina which doesnt get out much because there is so much weight of it out in front !

Return to “Constable Of Bromley Cane Rods”