Gerry Savage Carp rod.

The Davenport & Fordham Rods forum.
DrJohn
Gudgeon

Gerry Savage Carp rod.

Post by DrJohn »

Have just acquired a (Farstrike) Gerry Savage Carp rod, acquired recently from another TFF member. It is in need of a little tlc - looking forward to fishing with it in my local lake - close season notwithstanding!

Met GS bankside when I lived in Kent (nr Matfield); and saw him once or twice when he relocated to Cornwall: he was always very approachable - and I think an evangelist for winter Carp. I remember listening to his radio programme Good Fishing.

I'm looking forward to comparing this GS back-to-back with my Hardy Richard Walker Carp No1 - thoughts and comments welcome chaps.

John.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Aitch
Pike

Re: Gerry Savage Carp rod.

Post by Aitch »

I had a pair of GS S/U's in Red glass in my youth... wish I'd never sold them...
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I have a glass Marco? version of the GS somewhere, has a funny round button cap but has been rung with Fujis if I remember correctly.

DrJohn
Gudgeon

Post by DrJohn »

Bluelabel wrote:I had a pair of GS S/U's in Red glass in my youth... wish I'd never sold them...
Interesting, was the blank the near see through, translucent glass? If so I have an D & F Avon in that style.

I believe the red blank (rarer) came before the green.

John.
Last edited by DrJohn on Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DrJohn
Gudgeon

Post by DrJohn »

Reedling wrote:I have a glass Marco? version of the GS somewhere, has a funny round button cap but has been rung with Fujis if I remember correctly.
Would be interesting to see that, would be a later rod than the D & F as Tony Fordham went to Marco after D & Fs demise (and carried on making signature rods*).

John.

*D & F signature rods included Gerry Savage, Peter Wheat, Peter Stone, Jack Hargreaves and Clive Gammon...clever marketing for 40 years ago.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

DrJohn wrote:
Bluelabel wrote:I had a pair of GS S/U's in Red glass in my youth... wish I'd never sold them...
Interesting, was the blank the near see through, translucent glass? If so I have an D & F Avon in that style.

I believe the red blank (rarer) came before the green.

John.
Thems the ones.... :Cry:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I remember looking at the D and F Farstrike, I think it was quite light and stiff with very nice hollow glass joints, not the solid glass spigots Bruce and Walker used :-)

DrJohn
Gudgeon

Post by DrJohn »

SofaSurfer wrote:I remember looking at the D and F Farstrike, I think it was quite light and stiff with very nice hollow glass joints, not the solid glass spigots Bruce and Walker used :-)
You're correct, all my D & F rods have these hollow spigots, apart from an unusual and rare match rod which is"glass to glass": reputed to be one a batch of specials made for the British Team.

I do have two B & W rods (including a B. James B & W) with hollow spigots - but I think D & F were the innovators as I have seen their early - pre Thames Street, Poole* - rods with hollow spigots.

John.

*Ware, Herts before Poole.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

DrJohn wrote:
Reedling wrote:I have a glass Marco? version of the GS somewhere, has a funny round button cap but has been rung with Fujis if I remember correctly.
Would be interesting to see that, would be a later rod than the D & F as Tony Fordham went to Marco after D & Fs demise (and carried on making signature rods*).

John.

*D & F signature rods included Gerry Savage, Peter Wheat, Peter Stone, Jack Hargreaves and Clive Gammon...clever marketing for 40 years ago.
Here are a couple of pictures of my Marco rod......

Chris Ball
Bleak

Post by Chris Ball »

Here is a picture of Mike Starkey using his Marco ‘Gerry Savage’ rods at the Tarn Pond at Cutt Mill, near Farnham Surrey around 1973/4. This Marco version of the GS rod became, along with the S/U version (for slinging out a bait further) quite popular at the time.

Return to “Davenport & Fordham Cane Rods”