Ogden Smith Arun

The Ogden Smith Rods forum.
The VFC
Brown Trout

Ogden Smith Arun

Post by The VFC »

Hi all - awhile back there was some very interesting "discussion" regarding Southwell Avocets, Ogden Smith Aruns and all sorts - so I thought I pop up some photos of the Arun I picked up this week. (Many thanks to Nobby for his thoughts and PMs this past week btw).

I have a couple of dilemmas - firstly how to approach teh "Southwell" aspect: my commercial head says I should maximise the value of the rod, but I'm reticent to be associated with the other "Southwell" pusher of ebay fame. Next - should I restore the original (cracked) ferrule or leave the (pretty crude) attempted copy replacing it? Apart from that - and a whipping that needs redoing or its unravelling halting - the rod is in v. good nick considering its been pretty much neglected for the past 15 years. For me the stopper with it doesn't look quite right (its a bit oversize to my eye) but the bag is good so I can't complain.

I have to say - biased as I may be - it is a lovely rod, to my mind the butt section seems a little slimmer than an early B James Avocet (but as I haven't got one in to compare with can measure it up). I've had a waggle and its very good in the hand - I might have even kept it if it wasnt for the fact that Paul C is making me an Avocet already (and Mrs. VFC is starting to mumble about the amount of items that don't seem to get onto The VFC site!).

ATB
Jim
OS 1.jpg
OS 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Re: Ogden Smith Arun

Post by Bumble »

Jim I hope to have one next week to compare with if you want to wait we could meet up somewhere
Colin

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Hi Colin - would love to: but (judging by where you fish) I may be a little far away (we are Norfolk based). Mind you I'd love an excuse to fish with you (if you can get J.T to catch there may even be hope for me!).
Jim

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

No problem we could try and fix date over Christmas send pm with your email will send pictures of Arun.
colinculley@tiscali.co.uk

Return to “Ogden Smith Cane Rods”