1st post and 1st rod restoration.

The Ogden Smith Rods forum.
Jollytar

1st post and 1st rod restoration.

Post by Jollytar »

Good afternoon,

Firstly let me introduce myself, I've joined the forum after a recommendation from a friend who has been a member for sometime, known on the forum as Crucian.

I would be the first to admit that I'm no fisherman, in fact I've only fished on holiday with the kids with junior rods. No my interest was sparked by Crucian, who knowing my interest in all things vintage, showed me his collection. I loved the look and feel of the cane rods and the quality of the reels coupled with the thought that you could, with a little time and effort, have a go at restoring an old unloved rod and then using the same, new skills to learn, new people to meet and maybe new friends to make.

So I have taken the plunge, from eBay a £10 Ogden Smith rod which was a three piece rod, two whole cane and greenheart top. It had replacement line guides and the top had been shorten as sometime. I stripped the rod back to find that the whole cane sections had a faint burnt cane finish, all be it a crisscross pattern, this was not to my liking so I applied the burnt cane finish you can see it the pictures, my apologises if this not to any purests liking. The greenheart tip was replaced in an recycled split cane top section, to which the old ferrel was added, this was with much help and guidance from Crucian.

I now have the problem of what colour whippings for the line guides and cane nodes. In the picture you can see one green whipping, still not sure! I'm open to any sugrestions.

So in closing, I hope I've not bored anyone to much and I will post again with progress,

Kind regards Jollytar.

Dokterhoo
Dace

Re: 1st post and 1st rod restoration.

Post by Dokterhoo »

Welcome and well done - looks like a very good start and no doubt a good teacher.

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

You keep going the way you are that is a stunning rod and in Crucian you have a great mentor, I have one of his rods so I can be very honest.
Bumble

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

Welcome. Looking realky good - I like the pattern you have used. I wonder if the green will darken with Ronseal ?

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

A hearty welcome, Sir ... and that's a great start !!!
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Welcome aboard, Sir. Good choice and nice introduction with your first project rod. To be honest with you the light green does not really want to please my eyes. In my opinion a darker green would match better. It's correct that unsealed whippings will darken quite a lot so in any case you should try on a skewer or something alike. I always find that claret or garnet dark red colors always give a cane rod quite a valuable appearance but to be honest: This is a decision you will have to figure out with yourself. It will be your rod in any case.
If you want to prevent darkening you should get yourself some banana oil or whipping sealer. I use Seymo color preserver.
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Welcome aboard Sir, fine looking rod, I agree with Christopher, a darker green would look nice :Hat:

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Do come on in....sit yourself down, we'll open a good bottle of port and enjoy a glass by the fire on a blustery winters eve.....
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Well, you did it, good first post too, welcome to the forum.

Thats a good bit of cane you have there, nice and light with a crisp feel.

The roach will be climbing over each other to have a look at your handiwork when we get on the river after Christmas.

Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Jollytar

Post by Jollytar »

Evening chaps,

Many thanks for your kind reply's.

Your comments on the colour of the whippings minor my concerns, I should have posted these extra photo's showing trial whippings on garden cane same green with yellow and red tippings. These are just ideas, or the red or yellow may replace the green, both have had two coats of varnish, and all colours have darken.

nothing like to much choice,,!!! Henry Ford may have had the right idea about colour!!

Return to “Ogden Smith Cane Rods”