Ogden Smth 'The Yarrow Rod'

The Ogden Smith Rods forum.
Trainset
Gudgeon

Ogden Smth 'The Yarrow Rod'

Post by Trainset »

I have just been given an Ogden Smith Yarrow Rod that needs a bit of TLC. It was given to me by my Father in law who has been clearing out his parents house after a move into a care home. The rod was in the back of a garage in a cloth bag that is airing but doesn't seem to be in to bad a condition. I'm assuming the rod is named after the river.

I am after any info on this particular rod, manufacture date etc and where I can get spares to get it up and running.

Its a 3 piece rod with the option of two top ends, I assume the longer section one is for float fishing the other for ledger?
I really am a novice to the vintage tackle set up and need as much help and advice on restoring this rod to as close as original as possible.
If anyone has info I can post up section lengths etc. and what I think I needs to be restored and pics of the rod itself.
I have no intention of selling it in its present condition or when its restored, I just want to give it a go and see how it feels. It would be nice to have a value of the rod, I'm estimating it at £80-£150 judging by other rods from Ogden Smith.
I will of course need to get a suitable reel to go with it but that can wait until its functional.
Hopefully someone can give me some advice and fact regarding the rod and I'll be able to use my new 'Old' rod at some point! :fish:
I go fishing not to find myself but to lose myself.

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Re: Ogden Smth 'The Yarrow Rod'

Post by Bumble »

Trainset I have a number of Odgen Smith rods and their course range are very collectable and becoming very sought after. I have not heard of the model before please can you post some pictures and I will try and get you the information you need.
Bumble

Trainset
Gudgeon

Post by Trainset »

Hopefully a few pics are attached- first few attempts failed as file was to big!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Trainset
Gudgeon

Post by Trainset »

The marking on the rod says Ogden Smith the Yarrow Rod Clapham Junction. the first section with handle is just over 3' 6" the second section that has the missing line eyes is 3 foot 5" and the third sections are 3' 3.5" & 1' 1.75".
The bottom reel aligner is on the rod but broken in half and the fish butt stop is worn away in parts.
Hopefully someone can give me some answers regarding this rod.

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Does it have a green Ogden Smith Label on the butt
Bumble

Trainset
Gudgeon

Post by Trainset »

No name on the butt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Trainset
Gudgeon

Post by Trainset »

I have been told that this rod is a small salmon and trout rod not a coarse rod as I had assumed! I have also been told that it dates to around 1920 and from the photos of the rod I provided that is probably made from lancewood and cane.
Not sure where I can get replacement original spares for this rod unless I get another similar Ogden Smith rod and use if for spares. :holmes:

Is this how an obsession with vintage tackle starts?? :Hair out:

Trainset
Gudgeon

Post by Trainset »

Just wanted to bump this post up in the hope someone may have some additional information regarding the rod and where I can get some 'original' parts required to restore it.

Return to “Ogden Smith Cane Rods”