Rod Identification

The Ogden Smith Rods forum.
The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Rod Identification

Post by The Old Buffer »

I am hoping that someone may be able to suggest the provenance of a rod I have acquired.

It is a two piece rod of equal sections each measuring 61.1/2". The butt measures 28" and on the butt brasswork is inscribed the words J OGDEN, MAKER, CHELTENHAM. The rod has no other identifying marks. The butt section has only one lined ring and the top section is comprised of five rings. It is whipped in burgundy thread, which, judging by the condition of the cork is original.

In action and performance the rod resembles nothing so much as a MkIV and is a real pleasure to handle.

James Ogden was a Cheltenham rod maker of some repute who passed away in 1897. My understanding is that his daughter married a Mr Smith and they moved to London setting up in business as Ogden Smith Rodmakers. I suspect that my rod dates from the 1960's at a pinch perhaps the 50's. If anyone has any idea's or suggestions i would be pleased to hear them. Here are some photographs which may be of help.
P1020918 (440x330).jpg
P1020917 (440x330).jpg
P1020920 (440x330).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Rod Identification

Post by Nobby »

I think it might be earlier having brass parts on it. If you look here you will see the firm had later started using transfers and they show the start date as 1763..is that even possible???

viewtopic.php?f=314&t=13461

Good rods, fine reputation.

The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Post by The Old Buffer »

Nobby wrote:I think it might be earlier having brass parts on it. If you look here you will see the firm had later started using transfers and they show the start date as 1763..is that even possible???

My own suspicion was that it is an Ogden Smith rod but they were still using old parts from James Ogdens days. There does not seem to be as much information about regarding Ogden and Ogden Smith rods as there is on other makes. At the end of the day I suppose it does not matter overmuch apart from satisfying my curiosity. :Cool:
The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Nice rod TOB

Stef
Rudd

Post by Stef »

Nobby wrote:I think it might be earlier having brass parts on it. If you look here you will see the firm had later started using transfers and they show the start date as 1763..is that even possible???

Having read through some chapters of L.A Parker's 'This Fishing' today he stated that anglers were using Sowerbutts roach poles for over 150 years. Taking into account the release date of the book (1948) I think it could be possible that Ogden Smith started business that early, too.

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Old Buffer that's an Ogden Smith spinning Rod James Ogden before the Smith made a sublime Roach/Match rod called the Chelt a good one is very rare and collectable. I have a number of Ogden Smith rods and the quality is superb as is your rod. I have an unamed wooden handle Ogden Smith Avon which eminated in Cheltenham and I suspect the original builder was James.
Hope this helps.
Bumble Image

The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Post by The Old Buffer »

Bumble wrote:Old Buffer that's an Ogden Smith spinning Rod James Ogden before the Smith made a sublime Roach/Match rod called the Chelt a good one is very rare and collectable. I have a number of Ogden Smith rods and the quality is superb as is your rod. I have an unamed wooden handle Ogden Smith Avon which eminated in Cheltenham and I suspect the original builder was James.
Hope this helps.
Bumble Image
Yes thank you very much that makes a lot of sense.

Return to “Ogden Smith Cane Rods”