Ogden smith "Carp Major".

The Ogden Smith Rods forum.
PondLife
Perch

Ogden smith "Carp Major".

Post by PondLife »

I bought an Ogden smith "Carp major" a few years ago and was under the impression that it was Ogden Smith's answer to the B James mk4. But after seeing Bumbles new Ogden Smith mark 4 on this forum, I'm obviously mistaken. So can anybody tell me about the "Carp Major"?. Thanks in advance Pondlife.

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Re: Ogden smith "Carp Major".

Post by Bumble »

Pond life I believe the major is stepped up version of their MkIV
Bumble

PondLife
Perch

Post by PondLife »

Thanks bumble. Unfortunately you've confirmed my suspicions about the rod. I'm obviously the proud owner of a stepped up carp rod and i don't like carp fishing. I also have in my collection a Constable "forte four plus', another stepped up carp rod. I think in future when I'm buying rods online i should do some research first. Thanks again, Pondlife.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Ha ha...he gets two of the most desirable rods around, from right under our noses, and he don't want 'em!

Where's the nearest wall? :Brickwall: :Brickwall: :Brickwall: :Brickwall:

:Hahaha:

I'm laughing.....but I'm crying inside!

PondLife
Perch

Post by PondLife »

Thank you Nobby for your sympathy. :Chuckle: As for desirability, i doubt i'd get back what i payed for them if i was to sell them.

Gammarus
Chub

Post by Gammarus »

Mr Pondlife, apologies for not noticing this thread months ago. I too have the Carp Major and may be able to help a little, but wish I knew more about it.

I purchased mine nearly 30 years ago for £50, at the time thinking "I wish this was a Mkiv but never mind it's by B James so it will have to do". Later at the CLA gamefair I asked a dealer who told me it was a rod rarely seen and very collectable, he believed that Ogden Smith marketed it as an "allrounder" rod suitable for carp, pike, bass, etc. I can't confirm how correct this is. Obviously I have kept mine and not sought a common old Mkiv carp that the hoi-polloi fish with :Chuckle:

Mine has a tiny hook keeper about the handle, this is so small I doubt a size 14 hook would pass through the eye - what on earth was the point in this and does yours have it? Mine has carp major inscribed in indian ink in not a great script (the apprentice responsible?), the B.James and Ogden Smiths are decals.

I'm also not so convinced as to the stepped-up qualities of the rod, I need to meet up with a forumite and their Mkiv so we can give them both a wiggle (preferably with fish on the end) and compare both. Mine is certainly not that strong and a 10lb carp leads me a merry dance. I wonder what the tapers were and comparisons.
Was the rod designed pre or post Mkiv? Was it designed by B. James or Ogden Smiths? How many were produced? With everyone so obsessed with the Mkiv carp it would be nice to know a little more about the rarer models.

Whopper
Minnow

Post by Whopper »

Maybe you can supply us with some images of the Carp Major you have?

- I too have this rod but I don't think it's a S/U model, it's more like an Mk.IV Avon...
Catch your dreams...

Return to “Ogden Smith Cane Rods”