Pole Rod

The Ogden Smith Rods forum.
Gudgeon Jim

Pole Rod

Post by Gudgeon Jim »

I picked this pole rod up today from the outskirts of London . I bought it as it had a nice look about it and it had drop rings on it.
Theres no stamps on any of the brass ware but on closer inspection under the eye glass the decal reads OGDEN ??ITH ROD ???? which i take to be Ogden Smith . It doesnt have the quality of any OS rods ive seen so was wondering if they sold tackle other than their own and put their retailing mark on it hence the decal ? If any of you chaps could shed a bit of light on it it would be appreciated.
The chap i got it off tells me he owned it 60 plus years and he obtained it from a deceased relative who owned it at least 40 ?

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Re: Pole Rod

Post by Vole »

Ah, that one! If the seller had taken a better photo of the label, and not brought up the name of another maker...

...I still couldn't have afforded it.
I hope it's as good as it looks as though it might be. Those drop rings look a bit of an irk to replace - has it got its full complement?
Happy stret-pegging!
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Gudgeon Jim

Post by Gudgeon Jim »

It was obvious it wasnt what it was described from the pics , but the label , the mottling and the rings enticed me in.
It does have a complete set of rings and prior to collecting i was worried to where i may obtain one or two if any had detached themselves but hey ,they were all there in their original locations bar one which was taped to the pole. Its a shame the original tip is gone but im sure i can take the ferrule off the glass tip and replace with greenheart /lancewood it should look original again.
So another unknown to add to the collection and to take out now and then for a session of tiddler snatching. :Thumb:

KenSowerbutts
Grayling

Post by KenSowerbutts »

Cannot see the label that well but a few pole/rod makers used the same oval label it could be one of theirs one being Fields Fishing Tackle London NW5 the other being Evans London E2 whatever it will look lovely with some TLC .
Knowledge comes but Wisdom lingers

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Excellent news about the rings!
To be honest, the glass is such a good colour match, I'd fish with it, and just do up a "proper" timber or whalebone top for show.
It will indeed look fine. Do you have a reel in mind to pair it with?
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Gudgeon Jim

Post by Gudgeon Jim »

Something small and brass maybe a Hendryx i will dig through some boxes and see what ive got.

Return to “Ogden Smith Cane Rods”