Aspindales Severndale Delamination??

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
Gudgeon Basher
Dace

Aspindales Severndale Delamination??

Post by Gudgeon Basher »

I have been reading all of your posts with interest, as I wanted to learn as much as I could before attempting my first restoration and I started to see people talking about delamination problems with Aspindale rods and looking closer at my rod it appears that this one suffers from it as well...What do you guys think? Is this too much of a job for a first project??

Whilst I'm here any information about the possible age of the rod and would it suit Crucian and Tench fishing (once repaired of course)

I hope the pictures show up ok if not let me know and I can take some more.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Aspindales Severndale Delamination??

Post by Nobby »

This rod would be from the 1949 to November 1961 period when Jim Aspindale worked with his son, Peter, Having parted ways with his brother William with whom he first went into business in 1946.
Jim Aspindale had been head of the Milwards rod making room before the war where he had perfected hollow-building.

It's this hollow-building coupled with the glues of the time that can give Aspindale rods their delamination problem, though it's usually associated with the first rods from the '46 to '49 period, which are usually Aeros of one type or another.

I think your image shows delamination between butt ring and ferrule (?) which just might be the most successful to repair if you can get the ferrule off to 'open' the cane out to clean and re-glue it as it will have a greater amount of surface area to take the new glue.

However, do put a 'proper' old bend in the middle and tip sections to test their integrity before you do all that work!

I think I would be inclined to bind over the delamination and fish with the rod to test it thoroughly.

Good Luck!

Gudgeon Basher
Dace

Post by Gudgeon Basher »

Thanks for the reply and information Nobby.

The affected area is from the ferrule (which is loose anyway) to the butt ring, I have put as much of a bend as I dare into the rod and it seems to have a smooth arc in fact it has a much more through action than I thought it would, being a match rod I thought it would have a more tippy action if you get what I mean, but I put that down to the top section being a bit short.

I like the idea of binding it and fishing to test it but wondered how best to bind it, do you mean to whip over the entire area?

Do you think there is any chance of it folding up under pressure though, as I wouldn't want to risk breaking it.

Sorry for newbie questions but I'm just starting out!

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have one and I would not like to play a big fish - above 5lb - on it.

I have Avon rods more suitable for bigger fish + carp rods for even bigger fish.

Although Ashby Cut has had a monster on a float rod!! Brilliant angling!

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Last April I made a 'how to' post about restoring cane rods and included detail on delamination and lots of pictures. I hope it is of help to you in your restoration. In the thread I used cascamite wood glue, but I'd definitely use a two part epoxy now.

viewtopic.php?t=20798

Personally if you have put a good bend in it and everything else seems fine I wouldn't bother to whip over it and test it while fishing. Much better to fix the problem before it gets worse and the delamination gets bigger with the stress of use. (Just my opinion and what I'd do myself.)

It seems daunting but it really isn't as tricky as it looks! If I can do it, anyone can.

If you want to ask anything I'd be more than happy to help you out in any way I can. Don't hesitate to ask.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Gudgeon Basher
Dace

Post by Gudgeon Basher »

MaggotDrowner wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:35 pm Last April I made a 'how to' post about restoring cane rods and included detail on delamination and lots of pictures. I hope it is of help to you in your restoration. In the thread I used cascamite wood glue, but I'd definitely use a two part epoxy now.

viewtopic.php?t=20798

Personally if you have put a good bend in it and everything else seems fine I wouldn't bother to whip over it and test it while fishing. Much better to fix the problem before it gets worse and the delamination gets bigger with the stress of use. (Just my opinion and what I'd do myself.)

It seems daunting but it really isn't as tricky as it looks! If I can do it, anyone can.

If you want to ask anything I'd be more than happy to help you out in any way I can. Don't hesitate to ask.
MD

You make it all sound so easy!! But reading your guide has given me the confidence to give it a go.

I'm going to strip the rod right back whilst I'm at it, as a couple of the eyes are whipped in a different colour and it makes sense to do them too.

I noticed that you said not to use cascamite glue can I ask why? as I like yourself fancied the extra drying time

Thanks for all your help and your brilliant guide as well

GB

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

GB, Firstly I am pleased my thread has given you the confidence to give it a go.

To answer your question:

Cascamite was recommended to me on the trusted advice of fellow member Ashby Cut on here. And so I used it without thinking twice. AC, along with a few others (noticeably Wally's Cast and Nobby) are the people who, through dozens of PMs, taught me how to restore rods.

To be fair cascamite worked for me with my Aspindale. However since then I have had read about others having problems with it. These seem to be:

1. Cascamite is not cheap.
2. The smallest tubs available are far too big - you only need a small percentage of it to do a single rod.
3. This might be fine but others report that it stops working properly after a while of being open, even in airtight tubs.
4. Others report issues with the glue failing, possibly because they didn't or couldn't get the consistency right - epoxy is much easier in this respect.
5. Epoxy is cheaper and comes in smaller packs.
6. Epoxy has other uses and I always have a few packets. I use it for gluing ferrules and tip rings because it makes them detachable with heating.

Epoxy is much more convenient, cheaper and I have had heard no reports of it failing. It's not that cascamite is bad (in my own experience) but that I believe epoxy to be more reliable based on the reports of others. Having good results with both, and with the advantages of epoxy, I see no reason to buy expensive and wasteful cascamite again.

As for timing, it doesn't take as long as you might think. Take your time getting the sections open and pinning them open with safety pins. Then just ram loads of glue in there and pull the pins out. This shouldn't take longer than the time given on the epoxy packet. Next rung a rag from the good section down the blank, closing the sections up as you do so. Excess glue will seep out and the inside should be well coated. Then clamp the sections back together with cable ties fitted closely together and leave it to set over night. I use cable ties from the pound shop. i think its easier to get them good and tight than it is to whip string tightly. It is better to leave it to set somewhere warm - in the house not in a cold shed / garage.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Just one thing I might add. After cable-tying or criss cross whipping to hold the six strips together, do have an look down the rod to make sure you haven't bound a kink into it. OK any kink can later be removed with heat and flexing, but why make extra work for yourself.

Just as an aside, it can be most amusing to look at rod building sites from the US and see the marvellous machines they have invented and hand-made just to whip a rod whilst the glue is drying. I intend no criticism, clearly half the fun for these fellers is the joy of making things.

Gudgeon Basher
Dace

Post by Gudgeon Basher »

Nobby wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:05 am Just one thing I might add. After cable-tying or criss cross whipping to hold the six strips together, do have an look down the rod to make sure you haven't bound a kink into it. OK any kink can later be removed with heat and flexing, but why make extra work for yourself.

Just as an aside, it can be most amusing to look at rod building sites from the US and see the marvellous machines they have invented and hand-made just to whip a rod whilst the glue is drying. I intend no criticism, clearly half the fun for these fellers is the joy of making things.
Funnily enough Nobby I was looking at some of these yesterday but I not sure that it doesn't take some of the joy out of fishing with a rod that you have repaired and whipped by hand yourself.

But each to their own I suppose!

And thanks to both you and MD for your words of wisdom, time to start thread and glue shopping but what colour do I go for original or my own custom job this decision may prove harder than the actual work......hopefully!!

GB

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

It's true, I think, that original finish is the best if you want to sell something on, one day. We never intend to sell stuff on perhaps, but most of us do eventually.

But since this is your first big venture beyond replacing a ring or similar, surely you should feel able to do the rod how you would like it?

Almost all commercial tackle was built with price in mind to enable the maker to price it competitively and stay in business, .... with a few exceptions it all had to get approval from the accountants. You don't have this restriction and can do whatever pleases you.

Bi-colour whipping, tipping, double-tipping, intermediates...it's all there if you fancy it.

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”