Aspindale MKII Avon

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
Pallenpool
Zander

Aspindale MKII Avon

Post by Pallenpool »

I have recently got my hands on this rod - it's really rather good looking (to my eyes) it has a great action and seems fairly well balanced - it's a 12' er - I have tried to do some research on it - but to no avail - I have had a quick scan through these posts to see if anyone had submitted a post regarding it. I could not find anything, so thought maybe there is a serial/code number this rod goes by? I am still none the wiser - so your helpful cooperation would be very much appreciated.
-------------------------------
Last edited by Pallenpool on Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

SeanM
Tench

Re: Aspindale MKII Avon

Post by SeanM »

I restored a similar one several years ago. Mine was an Avon deluxe which looked identical to your picture. It was an 11 footer with whole cane butt and joint with a thinner piece of cane spliced in. Light enough to use all day for trotting its only drawback was a rather fierce transition between the joint and the tip when playing big chub. That said, I had fish to over 5lb on it.

I eventually sold it to someone on the old Path by the Water site.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Ah, just found an article I wrote for Fishing Magic in 2011. There are some pictures of the rod in it.

https://www.fishingmagic.com/chub-heaven/
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Thanks Shaun, I am really looking to place this rod in the history of Aspindales - they seem to have made several so called Avons - not sure if it's a keeper however - I have not caught on it yet, but would definitely agree it's light enough to trot on to your hearts content - a 5lb Chavender would be a nice christening present, I will let you know if I succeed - you may be waiting awhile however.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

I will look it up now . . . . .

Heraclitus

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Nice article Shaun, beautiful Chub, and I must say the set up looks rather good as well - Thankyou for sharing it with me.

Heraclitus

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

At a guess that rod is from the early days of Aspindale from 1946 to 1949 for several reasons.
1/. The rod has no mention of Dalesman, the trading name adopted by James Aspindale and his son, Peter, to differentiate their output from the previous incarnation of the family as rod-makers.
2/. The hand-writing, whilst similar to early output rods is a little different.... the unusual capital A has a pointed top, not the usual rounded one and the writing as a whole is more slanted over and cramped.
3/. The writing says "Aspindale's" .... no mention of sons.
This advert from 1948:....note the Telex address

I'd go so far as to say that might be the hand-writing of the 'lost' brother William.

GhyllManor
Grayling

Post by GhyllManor »

Nobby wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:42 am At a guess that rod is from the early days of Aspindale from 1946 to 1949 for several reasons.
1/. The rod has no mention of Dalesman, the trading name adopted by James Aspindale and his son, Peter, to differentiate their output from the previous incarnation of the family as rod-makers.
2/. The hand-writing, whilst similar to early output rods is a little different.... the unusual capital A has a pointed top, not the usual rounded one and the writing as a whole is more slanted over and cramped.
3/. The writing says "Aspindale's" .... no mention of sons.
This advert from 1948:....note the Telex address

I'd go so far as to say that might be the hand-writing of the 'lost' brother William.
An impressive and interesting bit of info unearthing Nobby. Ted.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

As a follow on to your post Nobby - a picture of the bag the rod came in, it would seem to be about right if your super sleuthing is correct, many thanks for your help-it's all very interesting-I have PM'd you with some other details.

Heraclitus

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”