Dalesman stoudale help needed

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
DerekScoopers

Dalesman stoudale help needed

Post by DerekScoopers »

Can anybody help ?

Having decided to return to some fishing I have been digging out all of mine and my late dad's rods to decide what is usable, We were lucky enough to be regular customers of B James Ealing as it was our local tackle dealer and had a good selection of their rods, a couple I will use being the Mk4 avon split cane and the Mk4 Avon taper hollow glass, I remember the actual day we bought them new.

But among Dads old collection is a couple I know nothing about

The Dalesman Stourdale is a mystery to me , its 11ft all signed correctly but bamboo bottom section and the top two sections split cane, all the whippings match and look correct but I dont remember him having it, but we are talking over 50 years ago !!

any ideas if it's correct with this configuration.

And another Mk4 Avon made by Edgar Thurston Twickenham which I sort of remember being one of my brothers from the early 60's dont know much about them and never used it myself.

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Dalesman stoudale help needed

Post by Olly »

The Stourdale is correct - whole cane - split cane - split cane! Avocet/Wizard style.

Edgar Thurston's in East Twickenham was my local tackle shop and was run eventually by Dave Steuart - who made some c****n rods for me.

I also have a split cane 3 piece rod of his plus a couple of glass ones.

DerekScoopers

Post by DerekScoopers »

Olly

Many thanks, well I had a thought the Stourdale was a bitsa but thats good news, may give it a go,

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

A friend of mine has a stourdale and when I asked about it a little while ago nobody had heard of one and some thought it could have been a one off special order.
Very interesting to find out there is more than one knocking about.

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

Update,

I am sure there is more than one. Found this in "The Collectors Register" for Winter 2000 - Peter Aspindale enquiring who might want a "Stourdale"

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I don't think many were made - rather like Goldendales or Temedales.

With the 2 listed here and I know one member has or had one - - so possible of 3 for TFF members.

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

I would love to know just how many different variations on the ‘*****dale’ theme were produced over the years?
I have a Matchdale and a Windale, I know there’s an Avondale and a Severndale - in fact, is there a rod for every river in the UK?
And do they actually differ greatly?
Last edited by Banksy on Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

I can't help with the rod, but the name Edgar Thurston awakened distant memories for me. I remember Dave. It was around the time when Thames Water were reintroducing salmon, and he spoke about watching them head and tailing at Richmond 😃
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Dozens I suspect - Win - Stour - Avon - Witham - Gem - Teme - Severn - *******dale- - and that is just the coarse rods off the top of my head,

Plenty of fly rods as well!

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Add the Markdale and Adendale - currently for sale.

Mostly named after rivers so as a fly rod, the Aden is in Perthshire - I think

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”