The golden dale

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
Paul D

Re: The golden dale

Post by Paul D »

What lovely rods Wal, two's being a bit greedy though mate....... still got my address? :Wink:

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Paul D wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:10 pm What lovely rods Wal, two's being a bit greedy though mate....... still got my address? :Wink:
Paul, I only showed the best one of the two to tease you. :Hahaha:

The other one is a well used rod I picked up last year and tidied up a bit, it has no original script left on it just the shadows from the ink. It is no where near the condition of the other rod but still does its job ok.
Wal.

PondLife
Perch

Post by PondLife »

Correct me if i'm wrong but did quinnos just join the forum to pick your brains as to the value of the Aspindale golden dale he has on ebay at the moment?. Or am i being cynical.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

PondLife wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:54 pm Correct me if i'm wrong but did quinnos just join the forum to pick your brains as to the value of the Aspindale golden dale he has on ebay at the moment?. Or am i being cynical.
To early to judge the chap but it does happen, I could name a few that joined us only with the aim of selling tackle or picking our collective brains in order to gauge a value. Not a lot that can be done about it to be honest I would of thought.
Last edited by Paul D on Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

That looks a different rod altogether, three piece and 10ft long sounds wrong too. I wonder if it's 11 or 12 ft long as there are 6 rings on the tip section.

Wal.

PondLife
Perch

Post by PondLife »

Looking at the listing again it's nothing like Wals rod at all. Shame he didn't put up a decent picture of the script on the butt section, i'd be interested to know what it says. Also looks like it's posibibly delaminating on the butt section.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I will say that the Aspindales made up rods as they went along! Some made to order - Temedale it appears - perhaps even the Stourdale and this Goldendale?

I have 2 or 3 "Avon" rods they made --- and all are different both in materials and lengths!

A details of each section length would help.

Luga00
Brown Trout

Post by Luga00 »

I've seen countless different '...dale' rods by Aspindales.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Yes they created the Dalesman brand name in 1949 to differentiate themselves from the earlier partnership of brothers James and William Aspindale. The new firm included James' son Peter who ran the office. A good number of their rods had 'dale' in the name such as Severndale and Avondale, specifically mentioned by new recruit Tony Croft as coming from this second incarnation.

Later on Peter yet ran another 'version' of the firm by himself and I think this rod might be from that time.

Quinnos

Post by Quinnos »

Hi All,

Many, many thanks for all of your invaluable replies. Most useful.

I feel very lucky to have this rod in my possession, but also feel very bad as it has not been used for many years.

I am in a quandary, keep it or sell it to someone who will use it in all of its intended glory??

What do you all think....

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”