Aspindale Bro's Aero 890

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Aspindale Bro's Aero 890

Post by Nobby »

Crucian wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:11 pm Have had a look for a ring, but have nothing suitable. As Nobby has pointed out, the butt rings on these rods are usually quite small.
Sorry if we have hijacked your thread Peter...but the Aspindale's history is fascinating.
I have recently restored a lovely 3 piece 11' Aero 'Wizard', number 906 and about to start a 3 piece 12' Aspindales 'Avon' number 898. Why this rod should be called the Avon, I've no idea. It's whole cane throughout with a spliced in built cane tip of around 30" in length. The quality of the whole cane used in these rods is outstanding.

I guess that's an Avon rod but only if you're fishing for roach....?

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Nobby wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:49 am
Crucian wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:11 pm Have had a look for a ring, but have nothing suitable. As Nobby has pointed out, the butt rings on these rods are usually quite small.
Sorry if we have hijacked your thread Peter...but the Aspindale's history is fascinating.
I have recently restored a lovely 3 piece 11' Aero 'Wizard', number 906 and about to start a 3 piece 12' Aspindales 'Avon' number 898. Why this rod should be called the Avon, I've no idea. It's whole cane throughout with a spliced in built cane tip of around 30" in length. The quality of the whole cane used in these rods is outstanding.

I guess that's an Avon rod but only if you're fishing for roach....?
That's about right Nobby...

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

The forerunner, an "Avon" being an 11ft whole cane butt - whole cane top with spliced in built cane. I have one restored by Paul Cook and another very similar with an extra long cork handle and a 12ft 3 piece as described above as an 898 but mine is called "Avon II".

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

On my way to deliver to Stathamender his 10' Carters rod I was giving away,I called into my favourite tackle shop Dawson's,of Holme Lane,Hillsborough,Sheffield to buy a pint of maggots.As I looked in the window I saw a brown rod bag saying "Split Cane float rod good condition". I Went in and had a look. I asked what the price was.£20 said Dave!I casually paid for the rod and my maggots and left to deliver Stathamender his rod! The Aero 890 is very good original condition and appears little used.The bag is in good condition and the rod has its original ferrule stoppers.I have an 892',a Suredale and a Severndale and really enjoy using them.I'll give this rod an outing tomorrow at Ravenfield,subject to the weather.I will be attending a working party in the morning at the ponds.Image
Mark Davies

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

What a great buy .

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”