Aspindale Bro's Aero 890

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Aspindale Bro's Aero 890

Post by Olly »

Nobby:- here is reference to an 895 I have found. I do have an 887 though! And an 895 sounds very nice at 11" x 2 joints! I shall look for one.

NobbyPost by AndyPop » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:50 pm

Nobby wrote:
Peter Aspindale once said he thought all their rods were hollow-built, but I think this is a particularly early rod built by the firm set up by Peter's father and uncle; James ( Jas) and William.
It seems the Aero or Aerolite name was only used during this period. Founded in 1946 they soon parted and went their separate ways in 1949. James and his son Peter then re-formed the company and thenceforth used the new 'Dalesman' brand to differentiate them from the old enterprise.

Whilst the pre-Dalesman rods might not even have involved Peter there is no doubt that they too appear to be all hollow-built.

13 foot rods in such early days is a new one to me and indeed I've not heard of an 893 before, but it does fill the gap! We knew of 890, 891, 892, 894 and 896 rods.

I guess that makes it all the more certain there's an 895 out there somewhere....
I wonder if this is what you are looking for Nobby sir?

11ft 2-piece with a 20" handle. I have fished mainly for Rudd with it, feels sublime, but alas has started to show a couple of the dreaded black lines. Will be restored by someone capable, and yes in case of fire the dog and good lady would be in the lower medal positions!
"Carpe Diem" does not mean "fish of the day."

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

Tinypics keeps letting me down. Here a trial with photobucket:

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

Here the butt ring:
Does anybody know a matching thread? I have difficulties finding the right color. Thanks, Bobby

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Bobby,I've used pipers silk in "peony" before looks very close to your photograph. :Hat:

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

Thank you Paul, very much aüpreciated! Best, Bobby

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Hi Christoph. I'm pretty certain that Pac bay Ruby Red will match that. I sealed mine with thinned cellulose dope and it was pretty much an exact match to my Foster Bros The Perfection which has what looks like the same thread as yours.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

I'll try to upload a picture tomorrow - Tinypic isn't working for me tonight.

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Have had a look for a ring, but have nothing suitable. As Nobby has pointed out, the butt rings on these rods are usually quite small.
Sorry if we have hijacked your thread Peter...but the Aspindale's history is fascinating.
I have recently restored a lovely 3 piece 11' Aero 'Wizard', number 906 and about to start a 3 piece 12' Aspindales 'Avon' number 898. Why this rod should be called the Avon, I've no idea. It's whole cane throughout with a spliced in built cane tip of around 30" in length. The quality of the whole cane used in these rods is outstanding.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Tinypic still not working properly, but here's a picture from Photobucket:

The intermediates are the same colour as your Aero Christoph.

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

Thanks Sean, that´s really helpful. I´ll order a spool and do a test whipping. Looks like a very nice rod, may I ask what make it is. Thanks again, best wishes from Antwerp, Bobby

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”