Do I have an Aspindale and if so which one?

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
AverageAngler
Gudgeon

Do I have an Aspindale and if so which one?

Post by AverageAngler »

Afternoon all,

I have picked up another project rod (I must stop picking up projects and start restoring them!). Perusing the wealth of info on here I have a feeling its is an Aspindale. I will describe it and post a few pictures to see what you all think...

- 3 piece; all split cane; 12ft 3" assembled; tip and middle section have alternate strips of light and dark cane; some signs of de-lamination
- Dirty white(ish) button, 27" cork ring handle; lined butt and tip rings
- It looks like it has been refurbished so I cannot rely on the red whipping thread as an indicator

Do the ferrules look right (and where can I get matching thread)? ;-)

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Rich.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AverageAngler
Gudgeon

Re: Do I have an Aspindale and if so which one?

Post by AverageAngler »

I have just weighed it and it is 1lb 1oz if that helps. I think it should handle more spirited fish than the roach type rods I have acquired for restoration so far :-)

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Alternate dark and light cane strips is something only a few rod makers employed, Abbey and possibly Priory, spring to mind.

The rod does look like it might be an early Aspindale Aero though...at 12 feet probably the 892. It was indeed these early rods, made just from 1946 to 1949 that are a bit prone to delamination if not cared for well. Aspindale did use white rubber butt caps, but in a later period, and they can be changed easily so that's not too much help really.

The slim tapered winding check and the small butt ring..they do look like Aspindale......and I'm afraid if it is an Aero 892 it's hollow built and......another roach rod.

AverageAngler
Gudgeon

Post by AverageAngler »

Hi Nobby,

Thanks for all the info. I knew I had read somewhere on the forum which makers were known for alternate dark and light strips. I just couldn't find it again.

Whatever it turns out to be it is more through action than the roach rods I have picked up (which tend to have butt and middle sections of whole cane or reed). I think it will therefore stand up to tench fishing a bit better than those (once the delamination is fixed).

Time for me to sort through my projects pile and sort them in order starting with easy restos/refurbs gaining experience until I am confident to take on more challenging things like delamination.

ATB Rich.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I am no expert on these things but as Nobby mentioned Priory here are a few of my observations. My Priory rod although shorter in length than yours has dark flamed cane sections, the ferrules are strengthened at their ends like yours, there is a swell of the cork by the cane for the hand hold and the butt cap has a funny stepped shape to it similar but not the same as, yours. The winding check tapers down to the cane just like yours.

AverageAngler
Gudgeon

Post by AverageAngler »

I have to admit having reviewed the priory section I do see some similarities, perhaps more than with aspindales? Plus given it's weight I doubt it is hollow built.

Perhaps when I rebuild it I will name it my Aspiniory or better still my Priordale!

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Sounds good to me :Thumb: :Sun:

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”