Goldendale de luxe 10 ft Spinning or Carp Rod ?

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Goldendale de luxe 10 ft Spinning or Carp Rod ?

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Not certain about that Steve but the fitting works by pushing the reel foot into the cork as it is tightened up just like the standard versions so I think its just cosmetic.
Maybe they bought a lathe with a milling machine attachment and couldn't find anything else to do with it. :Hahaha:

Wal.

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Thanks Chaps for all your info, I will use it this autumn and report back on how I find it.
Tight lines
Dave

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Wallys-Cast wrote:They are Autolock reel fittings but on the Goldendale they have been machined out, maybe to lighten them a little or probably just for aesthetics but you can see what I mean in the pics below.

Wal.

Wal here is a pic of the fitting with my old Nottingham reel, the fitting held the reel very nicely and the fitting itself is a perfect fit on the cork.
Tight lines Dave Image

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

I had an Aspindale Goldendale many years ago and mine was a carp rod.A very nice rod it was too.Mine had the usual aluminium sliding reel bands on it.

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

Saw one on the bay of eee there which finished at £190.00

Seems they are appreciating :tea:
niceroach

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

They are either Avon Or Carp rods.

viewtopic.php?f=313&t=23760&p=320842&hi ... le#p320842

The best I can read is either 1.25 lb t/c Avon or 2.00 lb t/c Carp.

I understand that the difference is not shown of the rod?

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Nice looking rod and one I've never seen before.

The Allcocks Harvey Torbet has a super quality self-locking reel seat of a similar design. The thread Allcocks used is very fine so it takes a lots of turns to get the reel seated firmly. I know lots of folks say they don't like these screw threaded reel seats, preferring the simple sliding bands however, I like the extra security, especially when playing big fish with the rod bending right down through the handle.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

Post by The Tuesday Swim »

A very strange coincidence, I put my Aspindale Carp Delux out to be photographed today as I am going to sell it, then I see this post has come up after some period of time. It's taken me a while to make the decision but it has sat on a shelf for over four years now, it will be up on Ebay tomorrow with a full description and photos but it would be nice to see it go to a TFF'er for a sensible offer, I'll update the post tomorrow with link.

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

Last year I found a Goldendale, beautiful original and unrestored, managed to collect it on my way to Redmire and pair it wit a Mk2 Exalta, sadly no fish there with it but managed a small carp from a club lake stalking with corn and a porcupine quill fished flat. Softer than a mk4 carp but more than the Mk4 Avon, similar in feel to the Ogden Smith Carp Major. I hope to be able to try both rods for barbel this year on the Wye. The previous owner of the Goldendale said it was bought new by his father and remembers him using it still in the 70’s, but it had hung in the under stair cupboard since then, looking at it I said he couldn't have used it much and was told it was his ‘special water rod’ for an estate lake he fished near Maidstone, a lake I have been offered a day on by a customer I’m restoring a Constables Forty Fore for, sound the perfect place to test out these rare rods, now looking forward to that come late summer 😊

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I now have several Goldendales, an Avon type, a 3 section Carp plus others in between!

One is exactly like a B James Avon in curvature. Another 2 section like a Chapman's 550.

Their advert, (owned by someone on here?), for Goldendale shows 2 distinct models - but not a 3 section one?

http://www.traditionalfisherman.com/vie ... le#p320842

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”