which aspindale

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
Blackbinki
Stickleback

which aspindale

Post by Blackbinki »

Oh fountains of knowledge i need help.
I recieved a sum of money for my birthday to be used for restoring a rod.( i am lucky enough to have a very understanding family who humour me in my madness)
My dilemma is which rod, I have two in need both Aspindales, one an aero 892 and the other is a Suredale. both need the same treatment, replacement intermediate rings and new varnish. so i seek guidance, I would use the restored rod for roach and chub to 3lbs.
Any suggestions
blackbinki

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: which aspindale

Post by AshbyCut »

Blackbinki wrote:Any suggestions
If memory serves ... the '892' is a hollow built, 12ft., 3 piece, all split cane rod (I had one labelled 'The Avon 892') ... whereas the 'Suredale' is a rod with a whole cane butt and split cane centre and tip sections which came in both 11ft. and 12ft. versions.

I've heard the 12ft. 'Suredale' described as 'heavy' so perhaps not the best choice for a days trotting ... and my 'Avon' 892 weighed 15.70 oz. (445 gr.) (not exactly a 'lightweight') ...

So ... if your 'Suredale' is the 11ft. version I'd go for that. (Oh ... and the 11ft. 'Suredale' is built on the same configuration as the 11ft. Edgar Sealey 'Floatcaster Deluxe' which a rather well known angler uses as his 'preferred rod' by some accounts).

If they are both 12ft. versions, you may find that the 'action' is more 'tippy' on the 'Suredale' and more 'through' on the '892' ... so choose whichever suits your style of angling.

Just my opinion ... and I'm ready to be shot down in flames. :Scared:
Last edited by AshbyCut on Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Suredale has been talked about as like an "Avocet" or a "Wizard". I have the 11ft Swiftdale and a 12ft Severndale & an Aero Wizard all nice rods to use.

James
Rudd

Post by James »

I restored a 12ft Suredale ,whole cane butt,and gave it a thorough testing on the river Dove . Ashbycut is spot on ,i did enjoy it very much but being a bit week i was getting a little fatigued after a few hours.

Blackbinki
Stickleback

Post by Blackbinki »

My Suredale is 11ft so i think it will be the one for a refurb this time and i will save up to do the other one.
Thank you gentlemen

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Post by Chubman »

ive just restored a 12ft aspindale 892, hollow built but still a bit on the heavy side in my view,a bit dissappointed with it as its a very soft and slow action rod, not suited for the rivers i fish, a match rod built between 1947-1949,happy to sell it as soon as possible,this is the only cane rod ive never fallen in love with

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”