Aspindales Aero 894

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
Galician
Ruffe

Aspindales Aero 894

Post by Galician »

I've recently picked up an old Aero 894 which has seen better days and has been mucked about abit in its past. For instance the Rod has very odd lengths, ie; Butt 46.5", Mid 41.5", and Tip 35", Total 123" (10'3"). My dilemma is 2 fold: would it be ethical to replace
both the Mid and Tip sections and still call it an Aero? and if so what are the correct lengths of each joint? (I have a number of old pieces of built cane). The forum has been very helpful to me in the past and I would very much welcome any advice you can give me.

CrayCane
Chub

Re: Aspindales Aero 894

Post by CrayCane »

I wouldn't call it an Aero 894 unless the replacement middle and tip are built to the original design. If they were I would still record somehow that they were replacements.

Pete

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Galician wrote:I've recently picked up an old Aero 894 which has seen better days and has been mucked about a bit in its past. For instance the Rod has very odd lengths, ie; Butt 46.5", Mid 41.5", and Tip 35", Total 123" (10'3").
Are you sure it's an "Aero 894," Sir ? The one I had, and the others I've seen including the '894b,' have all been 2 piece rods of 11ft and 11ft 6in respectively.

The butt and part of the tip section were hollow built.

The rod is no longer in my keeping.

viewtopic.php?f=313&t=15157&p=210136&hilit=894#p210136
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

As far as I know all the Aspindale rods were produced with equal length sections, so yours was probably an 11'6" inch version once.
I had an 894B and that was 11'6", two section rod, but other Aeros were three-piece, like the Aero Wizard, and Aero 890, 891 and 892.

894's are so rare I had thought, like Mal that they were two piece, but who knows for sure...?

Only produced between 1946 and 1949 they seem to be the rarest of the rare and are rather prone to delamination if not cared for. They were fully hollow-built, without dams, a skill James Aspindale learned at Milwards before the war where he was rod shop foreman.

In truth the weight removed by hollow-building isn't that great in thin section rods like these, but it won't be the same rod if you don't use hollow-built. It was very thin:

http://s259.photobucket.com/user/nobby4 ... sort=4&o=5

Galician
Ruffe

Post by Galician »

Thanks very much for your responses and advice. I must admit you have completely thrown me by advising me that it was a two piece. Mine is definately a 3 piece and is clearly marked in indian ink as the AERO 894. I've attached a photo of the printing which is not of the best clarity. Additionaly it has the Retailers decal added: TOM WATSON & SONS, something TACKLE DEALERS, 15 CANAL ST, EL-NOTTINGHAM 5277, its very difficult to read with my old eyes. If these details throw any light on the Rods origin I would very much like to here. Having Googled Tom Watson, it appears he was a much loved and respected tackle dealer and angler.

For my part I have made the decision to keep the Rod as it is.

I have only got interested in the tackle of my youth in the last year or so as I can no longer fish, due to health problems, but this maybe the catalyst to prompt me into drowning a maggot or two in the Bain outside my front door.

Galician

Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Post by Tinca Tinca »

Does the rod have the same whipping thread colours and cane colour over the complete
lenght?Perhaps it is a shortened butt section of a 894...

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Well that's quite definitely an 894 isn't it! I suppose a five foot plus butt section could be cut down to make a four foot one for a shorter rod, or it might be a special build for a chap who didn't fancy five and a half feet rod sections on public transport........Lord knows it's hard enough in a car!

Interesting to see Tom's transfer on there as I'm convinced Aspindale made rods for him later on under his name and have only learned recently that whilst other makers get credited in his catalogues, Aspindale didn't. I've seen Tom Watson Aero Wizards and I have here a Wasp that I am certain Aspindale made.

So that transfer proves the two firms did business together.

Galician
Ruffe

Post by Galician »

Tinca Tinca has raised interesting points viz a vie colour, which has prompted me to take a very detailed look at all 3 joints. The colour of both the cane and original whips are definately the same for all 3 joints. However the following poor work has been done at later date, joint by joint.

BUTT: Ferrule has been rewhipped in black, very poorly.
MID: Only has 2 eyes? Both have been replaced/rewhipped poorly in red.
TIP: Has clearly been damaged and shortened at some time in its past. Ferrule whip looks original. Tip eye has been rewhipped very poorly in black. Remaining 3 eyes have been replaced/rewhipped poorly in both red and black. There is another whip in black to strengthen what I am assuming is damage beneath.

All in all the Rod has had a very hard time over its life. I would love to bring it back to its original configuration but alas I do not feel I have the skills yet to do so?

I can provide additional photos should anybody so wish.

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

I can't better the advice and opinions given by the very knowledgable chaps, but yes give it a go on the Bain pre any restoration and let us know how it performs , good that it stays in the east Mids not that far from where it was sold to where you are in the lovely Lincs wolds.
Tight lines
Dave

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”