Aspindale Ledgerdale Restoration Including Bad Delamination

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
MaggotDrowner
Zander

Re: Aspindale Ledgerdale Restoration Including Bad Delamination

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Finishing off

After giving the cascamite a couple of days to set the next thing to do was to remove the cable ties. After this I tried to bend the section carefully in my hands and it seemed strong and robust but still had some flex like it should.

There were glue marks and little bits of residue from around / under the cable ties, which I removed with fine wire wool, making sure I didn't press too firmly and checked my progress regularly to ensure I didn't start sanding away at the surface of the cane.

Next was fitting the joint back on. When I tried to put it on dry (without glue, to test the fit) it went on nicely. I always use a two part epoxy resin glue to glue into place rod joints. This is because it is super strong, waterproof, has proved reliable over the years and can easily be unstuck by heating if the joint needs to come off to be realigned or fixed or whatever. The brand I use was the cheapest on eBay, called Ashley. It works so I don't see the point in changing to something more expensive. I mix the glue and hardener 50:50 and mix it. It is then spread thickly over the rod blank where the joint will go. Then slide the joint on and remove the excess that seeps out. Ensure that the bottom on the male joint is flush with the bottom of the bank. If it is a female joint I always give it a tap on the table to ensure it has gone on firmly and all the way. I then give it time to fully harden. The packet says one hour, but I usually give it at least six.

Next I glued on the tip ring and whipped on all the others. Before varnishing I thought I would assemble to rod and pull it into a good bend to see how the delamination repair has really gone. I fixed on a reel, threaded the line through the rings, tied on end to a tree branch and gave it a good tug with the rod. As you can see the area where the repair is (the bottom of the tip section) is bending over quite nicely and the general bend of the rod looks uniform and progressive. I think it has worked, which I am very pleased with as I have never repaired delamination before. I am definitely more confident about doing it in the future.

I then took it into the shed and finished the whipping with the black tips and varnished it. The rod is currently turning in my rod rurner. A turner is of course not necessary and I know one of the rod restorers on here who's work I most admire doesn't use one. I just find that I, personally, get a better finish with one.

The rod will receive at least one more coat to each section, perhaps two more coats. I'll then leave it for 3 - 4 weeks at least to fully cure and harden off after the last coat of varnish before testing it out. I cannot wait to catch something with it. Fingers crossed for a nice tench or carp in about a months time!
Last edited by MaggotDrowner on Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Well done Jack,
After reading the advice on this forum I repaired the dreaded Delamination on the last 8'' of the tip of my Marco 'Test' and the casamite has worked fine, you look at it and think how will it all hold together but it does, it's only been tested with Chub up to 3lb so far but no reason to think it's not going to stay together, yours will be fine.
Tight lines Dave

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

The Joy Of Seeing The Rod In Use Again

I took the Ledgerdale out earlier in the week to a small pond I know for its first outing with me as its owner. Although it is obviously designed for ledgering I float fished with it. I've never been one to stick to the rules. :Chuckle: It was ideal for float fishing in the margin because being so short and hollow built makes it extremely light in the hand.

A nice big piece of spam on a size ten and a handful of corn scattered around the porcupine quill resulted in three carp and a few bream. Below of some picture of the rod in action.

Seeing the rod brought back to life from such a sorry, delaiminated state makes all the work worth it. Although is it really work when the whole process is so enjoyable and the end result so rewarding? I have to say, when I saw the delamination, I didn't think I'd get to this point. Hopefully it will be fit for fishing for a few more decades now.
Last edited by MaggotDrowner on Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

You must be very proud, Young Sir ... I know I would be ! Fine work ... and a fine result. Hearty congratulations. :Hat:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Well done Jack.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Well done Jack, yet another one brought back from the dead. :Hat:

SkimmingTheCream
Chub

Post by SkimmingTheCream »

Nice to see a photo of the rod back on the bank with a fish :Thumb:

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

Thank you, Jack, for sharing your experiences with all the newbies on the TFF!
Now I'm almost upset that my cane rod doesn't suffer of delamination. There's still some work to do though. After the first fishing yesterday, I noticed that the butt section's ferrule needs reglueing.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Well done Jack, a great report from start to finish. :clap: :clap:

Looking forward to your next project.. :Hat:

Wal.

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Thanks everyone.

Wal, the next one is already rewhipped and will be varnish over the weekend. I'm going to try that varnish that you recommend. :Thumb:
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”