Aspindale Ledgerdale Restoration Including Bad Delamination

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
MaggotDrowner
Zander

Aspindale Ledgerdale Restoration Including Bad Delamination

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I bought this a few months ago on eBay and started to restore it this week. With many new members asking for advice on restoration I thought I would share the process of how I restore a rod with everyone. I know I enjoy watching others transform rods, so I hope you enjoy watching me try and do the same with this one.

When it arrived all seemed fine. The cane was straight, the joints fitted securely and I could see no delamination which Aspindales are infamous for. But the varnish was chipped and scratched and the whipping had seen better days.

The first stage was to cut off all the old whipping using a sharp knife, taking care to cut away from the joints to avoid getting the knife between the spikes of the joint that are whipped over to hold it on.

With these removed it was time to remove the old varnish. I did this with B&Q own brand paint and varnish remover. I paint it on thick across the blank and leave it for 25-30 minutes. I then, very gently, scrape it off with the flat side of a plastic protractor. Anything plastic will do. I don't use metal because I think it would be easier to damage the outer layers of the cane with it. I always do 1/2 a section at a time, so I have part of a section to hold when scraping the stripper off. I also never apply stripper next to the labels or script because it may remove those. Instead I leave that area alone and simply varnish over the top of the old stuff.

The next stage is whipping on the eyes. Mine were good on the rod so I will reuse these. but new ones can be purchased from Hopkins and Holloway or eBay. This video shows the correct method for whipping. It means that there is no need for glue, which might spoil the colour of your whippings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOtKuuhgf9A

A freshly whipped on eye:

After whipping all the eyes and over the joints on the butt and middle sections I came to do the tip section. However I noticed a problem. A black line had appeared down the edge of the strips of cane that make up the blank. This is generally a sign of delamination, where the glue has failed and the sections start coming apart. Investigating, I bent the cane in my hands and the sections opened up considerably. Obviously removing the varnish and the whipping had been all that was needed to make the sections open up.

In order to attempt a fix the joint at the bottom of the tip section had to be removed so the strips in the cane could be opened up fully for re-gluing. The old glue that holds on the joint was stiff holding tight, so it needed to be weakened with heat. To do this I hold the joint a few inches above a ring on my stove. I rotate the cane in my hands to ensure even heating. Remember to keep trying to pull the joint off. At some point the glue will soften and the joint will pull of simply and easily. Overheating can damage the came so don't do it for longer than required and perhaps wrap the cane in a damp cloth to protect it.

Next the sections required opening up so the glue could be pushed in between the strips of cane and into gaps. This is done with pins. I used safety pins because it is what I had. I have never done this before and so I asked on here for advice about which glue to use. Thanks to the generosity of the members I didn't have to wait long before I had a few recommendations. I decided to go with cascamite. Cascamite is a powdered glue that you mix with water. I chose it because it remains workable for an hour and so it gave me plenty of time and I would not have to rush a job I was unsure about.

The strips opened up:

I pushed the glue into the gaps with the end of a cable tie and a pin. I really coated the strips and it looked a right sticky mess. I the removed the safety pins and wiped the excess off. The logical way to do this was from the good section, towards the butt end of the section. As I did this the sections went back together nicely and excess seeped from between the strips. this reassured me there must be enough in there. I then bound the section tightly with many cable ties. They are only cheap. About 70p for 60 ish. More excess came out as I did this and I wiped between the ties with wet cotton buds. I put it in a vase on my windowsill where it is nice and warm for it to dry.

Next is varnishing. The varnish I use is Blackfriers Super Yacht Varnish in clear. I thin this down with a little white spirit so that it does on better and set it spinning in a rod turner for a couple of hours in the shed. I wait until the surface has started to harden and then I take it inside to cure properly in the warmth. I will not touch it again until I am confident it has fully cured, which may take as long as a week in a shed or 1/2 a week or so inside. If you rush to do another coat before it has fully dried you run the risk of very wrinkly, and unpleasant finish. I've been there and it is disappointing after putting the time and effort in!

The thread I have chosen is a cheap one from eBay. It goes slightly translucent but still close to the colour of the cane when varnished without sealer. I think. I'm actually slightly colour blind, but I like the look of it anyway. I tipped the main whipping in black to finish it of neatly.

A freshly whipped on and varnish eye:

Most threads need sealing. I have found the best way to do this, if your thread needs it is to use lots of coats of very thin banana oil. It is thinned with cellulose thinners. However this for me was always the most tricky part of rod restoration. It is difficult to get it right and if not done correctly you will end up with sports of whipping that are darker than the rest.

I spoke about this on here recently and was advised to use thread used a lot in America called Fishhawk thread, available from Hopkins and Holloway. This will change colour slightly if varnished over without sealer, but will not go black like most would. However, even though it darkens a little, all of the unsealed thread will go the same colour and it will not be patchy. I cannot recommend this thread enough. It is so much easier than sealing other brands of thread!! Just remember when you buy it to buy a colour a few shade lighter than what you want and do a test before putting it on your rod.

That's everything I have done so far. Next time I will be gluing the joint back onto the tip section and whipping on the eyes. Then I will be finishing the varnishing before eventually taking the rod out and having a fish with it.
Last edited by MaggotDrowner on Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Mick
Chub

Re: Aspindale Ledgerdale Restoration Including Bad Delamination

Post by Mick »

A really good post MD. Fascinating reading along with great pics. Very informative and I look forward to seeing your progress in the not too distant future.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Well done Jack, you've come on in leaps and bounds since you started on the forum. :clap: :clap:
Looking forward to the next instalment.

Wal.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Wallys-Cast wrote:Well done Jack, you've come on in leaps and bounds since you started on the forum. :clap: :clap:
Looking forward to the next instalment. Wal.
What he said !!! :Hat:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Good post Jack, hopefully it will give some encouragement to those thinking about having a go, looking forward to the next instalment. :Hat:

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Thanks guys. My skill level is still very amateur compared to some. But I have had such a lot of great advice and help from people on here I thought a little guide, putting the whole process on one thread might be beneficial to people that haven't had a go at restoration yet. This rod was good for that purpose because it's not as simple as just re-whipping and varnishing with that huge section of delamination. All this information and a whole lot more exists on the site already, but not in one place. The thread is just my way of trying to give something back I guess. Helping others in the way I was helped when I joined.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Well done Jack, great reading.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Ah the joys of a university education. Lazy afternoons lounging on the manicured banks of the river Aire sipping Pimms, browsing the TFF on your iPad and mulling over the finer points of restoring cane. Maybe a leisurely trip on a punt gazing down into the limpid waters where one might glimpse a scaley bronze form browsing the bright gravel. :Cool:

I have got the right university haven't I?

Nice work Jack! Looking forward to your next instalment.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

SeanM wrote:Ah the joys of a university education. Lazy afternoons lounging on the manicured banks of the river Aire sipping Pimms, browsing the TFF on your iPad and mulling over the finer points of restoring cane. Maybe a leisurely trip on a punt gazing down into the limpid waters where one might glimpse a scaley bronze form browsing the bright gravel. :Cool:

I have got the right university haven't I?

Nice work Jack! Looking forward to your next instalment.
Spot on, if I had been studying for a Bachelor of Arts degree. :Chuckle:
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Chris Bettis
Crucian Carp

Post by Chris Bettis »

Nice one Jack, very clear what you were doing, when you were doing it and why. Anyone who follows your advice will not go far wrong.

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”